Mossberg 835 ulti-mag turkey for yotes

mt boy

Hey guys just picked up one of these this morning and have never used a scatter gun for coyote hunting before and honsetly dont really no that much about shotgun because the only thing I use one for is squirral hunting and have a certain shotgun I use for that and abunch in safe that I dont ever use because they are old and kinda pricey,They where my grandads.So I was wondering what is a good load for yotes ands what type of choke tube should I be useing for best results.And was also thinking about a red dot scope any suggestions.THANKS

Choke will vary depending on your shotgun. Load wise I like #4. If you do a search on this subject I think it has been discussed before....rather recently I believe.

Originally Posted By: mt boyHey guys just picked up one of these this morning and have never used a scatter gun for coyote hunting before and honsetly dont really no that much about shotgun because the only thing I use one for is squirral hunting and have a certain shotgun I use for that and abunch in safe that I dont ever use because they are old and kinda pricey,They where my grandads.So I was wondering what is a good load for yotes ands what type of choke tube should I be useing for best results.And was also thinking about a red dot scope any suggestions.THANKS

I use double ought buck for yotes with my 835 BUT I DO NOT use the extra full turkey choke I use a modified choke.

DAB

Any of you have any expereince with cabelas chokes for hevi shot they have them on there site.And they look just like carlson's.They had alot of great review and they all compared the and said they where the same chokes.

I found the ulti mag full choke in my 835, the one it came with, does great to 40 yards with #4 buckshot. I was planning on buying more chokes and testing/patterning with different loads but I'm very happy with the way it shoots and I haven't lost a dog yet with this combo. I will say the pattern at 50 yards is too far spread for me to have any confidence in trying on a coyote but thats why I bring the rifle too. I would try patterning the choke you have with a few different loads before dropping the money on a new choke. JMHO. Good luck, you'll love the 835

I have the same shotgun. I use the extra full turkey choke that came with the gun with a 3 inch load of #4 BUCK. As someone else mentioned, for 00 BUCK, better use something a bit more open. I have had good results with the gun just as it came from the factory. Guessing it would patter the Dead Coyote tungsten shot well too, but have not tried it. Dead Coyote is a bit pricey for me and I have had good results with the #4 buck. Sometimes there is no need to mess with what works.

Make sure buckshot is legal outside of deer season. In Arkansas it's not. I have a 835, and with 3.5" 2&1/4oz of #6s it is a turkey killing beast.

Thanks guys I am thankful for all the advice.At least I have somewhere to start now for a coyote load.After buying this shotgun I relized how much I dont know about them and chokes and shotgun loads.thanks guys

fishn2fish which load is that?I tried the Elite 2 3/4" #4 buckshot load I found on sale at Cabelas but they patterned like crap through the Ulti Mag choke.

Yeah thats what I am going to try first,3 or 31/2 with #4 buck shot.If Icould ever find some,No where around me has any.Thought about ordering some off the web but I heard you get charged a arm and a leg to ship ammo. Anyone know what it cost.Thanks

mt boy I've never been charged extra for ammo.There is a hazardous material fee for shipping powder and primers but that does not apply to loaded ammo.

Bernie, I have good results with the Fed Premium #4 buckshot in 3 inch. This load does NOT have the flight control wad (I think that's what they call it). I haven't tried the flight control loads because I read that they don't do well with ported choke tubes. I will probably try some before Spring Turkey to see for my self though. I plan on doing some more testing when the weather warms to see if I can find a load/choke combo that will be affective to 50+ like I see in adds. I will post results when I do. I will say the Fed Premium #4 patterns great at 40 yards and under but not so good at 50 so keep that in mind if you're looking for more range.

Fish

Back