.222 rem for fox and coyotes

grousebum

Wondering what your thoughts are on the .222 for both fox and coyotes?

I asked in another thread in the Ammo forum re a factory bullet that's good for both in .223 and a few guys suggested a .222. After asking around some more it sounds like it might be a good route to go.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks.

.223 is way more prevalent and choices for ammo is definitely larger as well. I would say the .223 is definitely the way to go when wanting a versatile caliber.

Personnaly I would take the 222. Most accurate cartridge I ever owned and the crosswires never leave the target when shooting. I've had two 223's and I can't say the same about them. But I think myour gonna have an easier time finding the 223 and certainly have an easier time finding ammo.

I'm new to this racket but I have a copy of Gerry Blairs book- Predator Hunting.He's VERY highly regarded among fur hunters.He says the .222 is the ideal cal for the east,mid, and some areas of the west.For many years it was the top benchrest and varmint round.The only reason the .223 became more popular was due to it's adoption as a military round.FWIW-I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had the money.Things are just a little tight right now.

If you reload, get a 222, if you dont get a 223.

I have a 700 in a .222 rem and its the most accurate rifle I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. It will put (3) 40g vmax into .1"-.3" any day of the week with IMR4198 at 3600fps from a bench.

Thats a tough combo to beat for fox and coyotes out to 300 yards. I aint lost one yet!!

I'll never sell my triple deuce...

what kyotekiller said if you reload I have 4 722's 1 725 2 700 vls's and 1 700 varmint special and they will all shoot 5 shots 1/2 or better with 40 50 or 55gr v-max and work on yotes to 300 yds

I have a Rem 788 in .222, it shoots great. I like a healthy dose of H322 (3200fps) and a Speer 50g TNT. I haven't shot a yote yet but it does a good job on woodchucks.

Mike

The 40gr Vmax at 3675 fps from my 223 can be just a little too much on the foxes around here. Splits their gut open like a banana, even though the actual bullt doesn't usually exit on good broadside shots. I'm talking about 50-75 yard shots.

But it's perfect for coyotes!

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.I'm new to this racket but I have a copy of Gerry Blairs book- Predator Hunting.He's VERY highly regarded among fur hunters.He says the .222 is the ideal cal for the east,mid, and some areas of the west.For many years it was the top benchrest and varmint round.The only reason the .223 became more popular was due to it's adoption as a military round. True, but that was 35 years ago. A lot of things have changed since then, available bullet designs and twist rates to name a few.

there is no difference in performance in those rounds. i have killed over 250 coyotes.i use a 50 grain balistic tip in both the .223 and the .222. a tad easier to get an accurate load with the 222.

I have a savage 340 in 222 and a24 v in 222. 24 v is the 222 over 20 ga. they both are very accurate out to 200 to 250 yards then they start petering out.

i too have the 24v in 222 over and 20 ga under. perfect coyote gun. also have a mohawk 600 in .222. drop them dead at 250 yards no problem. only thing is that its very expensive to shoot.i reload so its more affordable. over a dollar a round from the factory boxes

.223 is what all bullet companies use now for accuracy testing of produced .224 cal bullets from their presses. The .222 is fine, has plenty of power and will work dandy, but accuracy is no better then a what current production .223 rifle will produce.

Add another coyote to the triple deuce with the 40g vmax.

Wacked one tonight at around 350 yards, farthest to date with my triple deuce. Wasn't even gonna shoot at him, but I figured what the heck. There was a pair hanging around some cows that were calving. They took off running and 1 of them stopped to take a look, that was his last mistake. I have my 222 w/40g vmax at 3600fps zeroed at 200 yards and put the bottom post of the duplex on his back and touched off. He started spinning, jumping, and biting himself, ran about 50 yards and was toast.

Love those little 40g vmax's...

I hit another fox yesterday with my 223 and 40gr Vmax 3675 fps. All I had was a frontal head/neck shot from 75 yards, so I took the neck shot. Not pretty. Nearly took his head off, just hanging there by the skin. I can't post the pics here but if you want to see 'em, PM me.

Put me down for the 222 also. Great accuracy, easy to load for and will shoot just as far as the 223 will.

Finding factory ammo in my area isn't hard but you are limited to the selection of bullets the factorys load it in. It's best if you load for it. But that can be said for any of my rifles in any calibur.

I have a 222 and a 223 I reload for each,the 222 will shoot just about anything you load for it.I had the tube cut down to 20 inches,it makes a dandy calling rig.

Back