Looking to obtain a class 3 firearms license......

butchtango

I am interested in getting my class three license. I am already a FFL holder and have been for a while now. But I would like to own a fully automatic rifle to add to my collection.

My question is....How exactly do I go about this? I have looked online over some stuff but the information has been vague at best. Any information on this would be very helpful...Any of you guys here have you class 3?

Thanks in advance.

Find a Class III dealer in your area. Most of them are more than happy to walk you through the process. We have a lot of them around here, most are very helpful. It's an Expensive Hobby,,,

If your just buying one Rifle. I believe the process is the same as buying a Suppressor or SBR. Depending on what Rifle your looking at, $10,000 and up, +$200 tax. Dealer holds it until the Paperwork goes thru the ATF.

Have you not called your local ATF person? They have the paper work, or can direct you to it. I spoke to mine just the other day about it..This was for the class three dealer, and Cost 500 dollars a year. Now, if you just want to own one, I believe there may be different paper work, and is similar to the 200 tax for such items. But again, call your local ATF guy....

Another thing, ask the atf, if you open yourself up to Home inspections.
Brasshound

All good advice above. Your local ATF guys are your first stop. We ran into problems in Virginia with some strange local laws. ATF actually cleared it up for us. It was MUCH easier for us, once we had our first federal sales contract as "proof of need" under Va code.
John

Easy answer - file your $500 SOT (special occupation taxpayer) and when your check clears, you are a class 3 dealer. Several things to think about... ALL SOT's run from July 1 to July 1. File now and you have a 3 month period before another $500 is due. One word of caution regarding your comment that you want to add an NFA weapon to your collection... Being a dealer is NOT for personal collection gain, but to be a dealer and sell NFA. If you don't do any business and just put acquired NFA in your "private collection" then you could be looked upon as evading taxes since a dealer gets NFA on a tax free form 3 instead of a taxed form 4. Any NFA obtained that is a pre-86 can be kept if you drop the SOT, but anything that is post 86 must be sold or forfeited upon dropping the SOT. You WILL have a regulatory check after a while of being in "business" to review your paperwork and see how much business you are doing... save yourself some potential heartache, find what you want, get it on a form 4 and be done with it. being in the business and stocking class 3 NFA is for someone with deep pockets. An average M-16 will run 10K but a Colt will run 14K. Even an Uzi is 7K and a Mac is close to 4K.

Last edited:
contact a local dealer for them. some places wont sell a fully auto inless to a dealer. ur loking at some high dollar money for fully auto

Originally Posted By: Brasshound Have you not called your local ATF person? They have the paper work, or can direct you to it. I spoke to mine just the other day about it..This was for the class three dealer, and Cost 500 dollars a year. Now, if you just want to own one, I believe there may be different paper work, and is similar to the 200 tax for such items. But again, call your local ATF guy....

Another thing, ask the atf, if you open yourself up to Home inspections.
Brasshound

Thanks guys for the quick response. I am mainly just wanting to add one to my collection not sell and keep them in stock. As far as the home inspection go I am already subject to them because of where my business license is located. I keep all my paper work in line so no worries there.

I am not sure who my local ATF guy is around here. How do I go about finding this information out?

Back