Damaging scope w/ windage adjustable rings

Roger London

Is there enough adjustment in this type of ring to cause you to bend a scope? I put a set of Weaver all steel windage adjustable rings on my new XS7 to mount a Redfield Revolution 3x9. This is my first time ever using windage adjustable rings. The instructions with the rings said to adjust the rings in opposite directions to make the gross windage adjustments before using the scope adjustments, but gave no precautions against going too far, nor did the scope packaging have any warnings against the use of windage adjustable rings so I assumed (you know what they say about assuming) that there was not enough adjustment in the rings to hurt anything.
The scope looks straight but the rifle doesn't group as well as I was expecting and the clicks on my scope don't seem as distinct as a friend's Revolution does w/ standard rings. Could I possibly have the scope in a bind?

i've never managed to damage a scope in windage adjustable bases.

i suggest you start this project from the rear base and go from there.

make sure your scope is optically centered. you can either do this by counting clicks (tough to do if the scope does not have positive stops), or place the objective flat against a mirror and adjust the turrets until the two images you will see in the mirror/scope are aligned on top of each other. from this point until you have at least a 200 yard zero you aren't allowed to touch the windage knob on your scope.

bore sight your rifle/start sighting in. spin the elevation adjustment to get where you need up/down to be. use the windage base screws to adjust for windage (push the rear of the scope in the direction you want bullet impact to move). once you are close enough at 100, go to 200 and make the final adjustments. once you are close w/ the base adjustments, click the windage knob to fine tune. you shouldn't have more than 4 or 5 clicks to get your windage set (fewer is better).

once you are done, your vertical crosshair will be centered in its home, and that stops a lot of scope weirdness issues and poi shifts by itself.

good luck!

Every adjustable base I've ever had, the front ring moved with the adjustment in the rear ring. If they didn't, I'd bet you could bend a scope.

You can bend a scope tube enough that the dials wont respond, the front ring will not twist when you adjust the rear, if it does you have a problem. ed

I use a lot of leupolds windage rear rings with there bases, but never use them to actually do the windage adjustments, think itd be more of a pain in the @$$ then anything... I use only leupold scopes and they have more then enough adjustment to get on target anyways.

I usually just center the ring as best I can with the front ring, and tighten the screws on each side evenly. Works for me.

Originally Posted By: Don FischerEvery adjustable base I've ever had, the front ring moved with the adjustment in the rear ring. If they didn't, I'd bet you could bend a scope.

yep. turn in dovetail front ring and windage adjustable rear ring standard Leupold base.

You simple could'nt pay me enough to use those Millet or other crap rings for a weaver style mount that are windage adjustable.

If the front ring assembly does'nt pivot in the base your putting pressure on that scope tube. It's pretty simple something has to give!

Originally Posted By: kyotekiller25I use a lot of leupolds windage rear rings with there bases, but never use them to actually do the windage adjustments, think itd be more of a pain in the @$$ then anything... I use only leupold scopes and they have more then enough adjustment to get on target anyways.

I usually just center the ring as best I can with the front ring, and tighten the screws on each side evenly. Works for me.

Your not using this mount to it's fullest. If your scopes reticle (windage is centered when mounted) use the 2 screws at the back to get your windage adjusted for zero and lock down the 2 screws and fine tune with your scopes windage knob. With your reticle adjusted properly you'll have the maximum of elevation adjustment range in the scopes errector tube.

About the best base going for a varminter is Leupolds long range standard scope base. Sadly they have'nt seen fit to make it for Savage rifles. Yep I called as have many others!

Built in cant so if your 8-32x40 only has 40 inches of verticle adjustment at 100 you can make sure you'll get the most of it.

Last edited:
I have in the past used that type of ring. I bore sight on a distant object, turn the front ring to align the (centered) scope with the bore, and carefully lock down the rear "windage adjustable" ring in exactly that position.

You want ZERO side to side (or up and down) external pressure on your scope tube. It WILL affect it.

I went out and bought a set of Leupold windage adj. 2 piece bases and remounted my scope. If anything it looks better and I have more access to the magazine. I give zeroing it another try if the weather allows Saturday.

Back