Kimber sporterized Mauser scope mounts

SDM

Does anyone know what mounts Kimber used on the Swedish Mausers they sporterized? I'd like to replace mine, but I'm not sure what they used. I assume (hope) when they drilled and tapped the receivers they used a pattern from something commonly available.

But should you buy the ones to fit a Remington, Savage, etc.? I've just not got enough experience with different rifles to recognize the pattern.

I'd say to email Kimber and see what they recommend. I doubt they recontoured the receiver, so it should be any for a Swedish Mauser (94/96/38) contour, and there may be a standard for them, although they were never standardly d & t'd from Sweden, obviously. Let us know what you find out cuz I got 3 or 4 Swede's to play with!

All of these that I have seen had Weaver style bases, but I don't know what brand or model no. was used. If they are Weavers, they should be marked.

They are weaver style. I'll check them.

Mike B, I've not got an original swede to compare to, but there does appear to have been some work done to the top of the receiver. I'll get it out nd take some pictures to put on here.

This might be a possible replacement base for your Swedish Mauser 96. I used a similar one for a model 98 Mauser sporter.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=474732

Mauser98003.jpg

I am assuming that all the swedish mausers are based on the model 96 small ring. as opposed to the large ring model 98's. That is what I would look for. I remember some of the rifles had see through rings on them, so that would require weaver mounts.

The rear of the receiver has been ground on to allow more room for the scope. The receiver is not the same as an original M96. I don't know that M96 mounts won't work, but I doubt they will as the receiver has been modified.

Is there a common spacing for screw holes that they would have used?

Here are the pictures of the receiver. Hopefully you can see that the part of the receiver where the rear mounts sit, has been modified. I'll probably end up taking it in somewhere and figuring out which mounts fit it. I was hoping to be able to avoid that and just order a set.

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

SDM, the kimber company we know today is not the same company that made your rifle. That I believe was the kimber of oregon co.
However I looked on leupolds website and they list their STD 2pc mount for a mauser 96 as #51263. Unfortunately there are variables in how 96's were milled so the mount mentioned may fit but may not.
You could e-mail kimber and see if they can help you and if not let me know, I know someone who works for kimber and I can try to hunt him down.

405win,
Thank you, I didn't realize it was possible that someone there now would know. I know there are differences between Clackamas and Yonkers, but I don't have any how much of the old Oregon operation was retained. I'll send them an email. We'll see.

Saw one of those guns this weekend at a show - it would've come home if it weren't for my current funds situation. Was more interested in selling than buying this time. They had Weaver 2 piece mounts on it with a scope, but no idea of a model number.

Back