anyone use 6mm Sierra 70 gr hpbt match for hunting??

timberboss

Got me a new toy a 6mm DTI AR(D-Tech Improved) D-tech took the 6.8 SPC and necked it down to 6mm and blew out the shoulder to 30* to differ from the 6 WOA(don't quote me on the exact spec's but Mike can elaborate them if you get ahold of him) anyway it has a 22" barrel 1-10 twist and I got some Sierra 70 gr matchkings to load. Was wondering if anyone ever used this bullet on coyotes and the like Not worried about hide but would like to "stop" them and not have to chase them. Was thinking about using RL 15 maybe RL 17 and seeing if it worked. Thanks for your insite

I have shot a few boxes of them from a .243 Win at prairie dogs and other small vermin. I think, at the velocities you are looking at, this should be a pretty good choice.
John

I used to shoot groundhogs with them way back when out of a 6mm Rem. 700 Varmint, shot great, 1/2 groups all day long, stayed together most of the time and usually shot right through 8-12 pound groundhogs.. I'd assume they are still being made, I'd say the modern version should be equally as good and maybe even better manufacturered. I hit those "hogs" at around 3100-3200 from 50 yards to 500+ with no problem whatsoever... !

Yea they are still being made. I tried a box in my 243 a while back and they do shoot great. I doubt that anything hit well with them is gonna flip you the bird but I also wouldn't use them on anything much bigger than a coyote.

I also tried the 70gr Nosler BT in the same rifle and couldn't get it to shoot. Done a lot of work on the rifle since then so will try it again one day. Gotta use up all these 75gr Hornady V-Max's first!

Last edited:
I have a few boxes of these, from mid 80's I'm guessing. I have some loaded for .243, with H 380 and some with W 760. Just waiting on the snow to get out of the way to try them out. Also, I just Glass Bedded this rifle weeks ago, so I'm itching to see how it's gonna do. Hope to put the "DUST" on a few G-hogs with it this summer.

Back