6.5 wsm

Foster_65

have you guys ever heard of these. i was reading some about them and talked to a few peopel that shot them and they sound really sweet. im thinking of building one and was wondering what you all think of them or have heard anything about them

Never heard of the 6.5wsm, but Im a fan of the 6.5 and that should be a great hunting rounds. Are they avail in a over the counter rifle or is this purely a build yer own prospect???

I'd be interested in learning more.

Silvertp

They are strictly a build your own. I have been there did that. They are fast and flat shooting, but terribly hard on barrels. I am a huge fan of the 6.5's but they are way over bore and it is a case of diminishing returns for the powder spent. I could get excellent accuracy out of the 140 gr. class bullets @ 3200 fps and some change. But it took me 15 more grains of powder to it than my 6.5 X 284 and they are hard enough on barrels in their own right. If it was used strictly as a hunting rifle it would last for a while. I tore mine down after 650 rounds were down the tube and had it set back and rechambered in 260 A.I. before the throat was totally torched.

If you do it have the barrel cut to the longest length that you feel you can carry to hunt with, and shoot it sparingly. If you are wanting a fast, and flat shooting 6.5 take a look at the 6.5 X 284. Lapua makes good brass plenty of load data out there for it.

I am not trying to talk you out of building one, I am just letting you know what I learned from my 6.5 WSM project. I have come full circle, I back where I started with 6.5's. The 260, 260 A.I., and a 6.5 X 47 Lapua, they are far more user friendly.

PaPa 260

PaPa 260

Sounds to me that that ole' gal will clean the throat out of you barrel in no time and for what gain!! I'd get myself a .260 or 6.5/06 and for a hundred or two feet per second the barrel will last forever with those two in the varmint hunting world. I see a few of both on the line at the "hog" match that I'm the range master at and I can tell you BOTH will kill any varmint you care to shoot out at just about any reasonable range. Not that I'm against the WSM's but that's alot of powder to be forcing down those 24-26 tubes and it takes it's toll in the long run.....stick to a good ole' fashion case to start with and a reasonable medium sized case..

Originally Posted By: who me?This article really go my juices flowing years back:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/guns/rifles/2007/09/65-leopard

I have a 7 wsm that I originally intended to be a .25 wsm. I never got around to switching it. It is a savage so I wanted to do the conversion myself.

I kinda want a 6.5 of some sort but the kids always need shoes or food or something.

Those darn kids. I used to walk to school in the snow without shoes uphill bothways when I was a kid.

Originally Posted By: chefpierreOriginally Posted By: who me?This article really go my juices flowing years back:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/guns/rifles/2007/09/65-leopard

I have a 7 wsm that I originally intended to be a .25 wsm. I never got around to switching it. It is a savage so I wanted to do the conversion myself.

I kinda want a 6.5 of some sort but the kids always need shoes or food or something.

Those darn kids. I used to walk to school in the snow without shoes uphill both ways when I was a kid.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Back