NYS Coyote Hunters

Originally Posted By: NY Yote28Well folks the way everyone in NY state thinks and/or knows someone who has seen a mountain lion in ulster county or WNY there would appear to be a thriving Mountain Lion population in NY..who would have thought! Only one question though? Why with all of these predator hunters out in NY, why don't we have first hand sightings....

I'll tell you why... because we don't have a thriving or even a small population and most likely never will..People are seeing coyotes with a mangy tail or a bobcat or maybe someones lab.

blink.gif

Think what you like but I have personally seen mountain lions in the wild while fishing in Upper Quebec. The animal I saw in Harriman State Park was not a mangy coyote, bobcat (long tailed bobcat?) or someone's labrador retreiver. My friend from Shawangunk is a hunter of over 35 years experience who has hunted big and small game everywhere from Africa to Alaska. His trophy room is impressive. He even trapped in his younger days. If he tells me he had a mountain lion in his back yard I take it for gospel. Just because YOU haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Look all I'm saying is with this many second hand sightings it would indicate a population of lions because they are all over the state. with these types of numbers there would be solid proof and yet we have none. I base my decisions on facts and proof not second hand sightings.

Originally Posted By: NY Yote28Look all I'm saying is with this many second hand sightings it would indicate a population of lions because they are all over the state. with these types of numbers there would be solid proof and yet we have none. I base my decisions on facts and proof not second hand sightings.

That is ture, but look at how many coyotes are in this state and alot of the members on this site have hunted for years and never called one in. There are people that have shot them but will not come foward because of the fines that would follow.

Come on guys let put your thinking caps on...
scared.gif

There are a ton of ways to get proof of an animal besides killing it..there is scat,documenting information so you have proof of where you found it and date/time and location...second you could find tracks and then have them photographed so the area could be seen (so you can take people to the same exact location in NY state)...people are smart they can prove crime scenes the same way...

I'm still going to say if their was this many sightings someone would find a deer carcass that had been covered and eaten like a lion would do or some scat...Either way I think we all know the answer there is not a viable mountain lion population here in NY not sure why people cant let this go..

Lastly I highly doubt any lions have a shot in NY razor, how many guys are stupid enough to tell people they shot a monster buck at night and get caught because it leaks out...the same thing would happen with a lion but only 100 times faster because it would be a huge feat...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Razorsedge
look at how many coyotes are in this state and alot of the members on this site have hunted for years and never called one in. There are people that have shot them but will not come foward because of the fines that would follow.

In the quote above the "shot them" refers to mountain lions. That people have shot them and just not reported them is BS.

But as far as coyotes go I could take you to just about any area of our state and show you actual tracks. With a little looking manure. With a little luck an actual coyote. So we know coyote's are here. I am always puzzled as to why so many think that there are lions and defend it so strongly that there is, without one speck of actual evidence. Thinking you see something is not proof. Trusting some perceived expert saw something is not proof. I keep telling myself that I won't join these ridiculous threads but I often get sucked in. There is no wild mountain lions in NYS.

Hey Yote,
Have you ever seen a space ship? How about God? Do you believe that either of those exist?
Just picking on you.
lol.gif

Everyone has some sentiment about this. I'm a ....non-believer, if you will (mtn lions that is). But, people do believe in a lot of things they haven't seen. I've had several , not one or two, people tell me they've seen what they believe are mountain lions here in the Catskills. Some of them are life long outdoorsmen. HOWEVER, I can't bring myself to believe in the DEC conspiracy theory, nor am I sure of what these people saw. One sighting in particular was behind a property I owned and was extremely intimate with. I spent a ton of time in those woods and NEVER saw any signs of mountain lions, even in the snow.

I just want to see a road kill.....without a diamond studded necklace on it.
whistle.gif

Let's put this one to sleep, by everyone agreeing to disagree.......................
confused.gif

Freebm,
lol I didn't know I would cause such an argument by asking if it is possible for mountain lions to exsist in NYS. Maybe next time I will ask if Big foot exsist and see if the argument is just as heated. lol

thanks mbowerma...yeah I'd say that is a 70 pounder..does have a little wolf look to it eh'...can't imagine our hounds chasin' that one, hope he wouldn't think about stoppin for a little fight..amazing

Last edited:
I agree with you NY YOTE28. There would be some evidence - tracks in the snow, pics on someone's trail camera, a roadkill even. The small population in Florida has roadkills. Other than a cub that was shot back in the early 1990s and determined to be a released/escape (it was starving), all I've seen are hoax emails that they are around. I've even seen a newspaper article claiming they were around with a picture of a bobcat!...and also another bobcat shot by someone who swore he just shot a mountain lion in his yard - he reported it had a long tail, too!

that dog there was said to be 74lbs not 70lbs so someone has their pictures and/or stories crossed.....oh well just hoping to see a different one..

Swamp, thanks for getting those posted.
Congrats on a great contest too. You're a "contenda" man.
Three dogs is quite a feat.
Getting much snow????????????

Back