3 for the morrning

CrazyCooydog

The first stand I called one in and let him get to abou 225 then let him hang up for about 5 mins then showed myself and he trotted off.(thought something else would come thats why I did this) when I didn't see anything else I barked at him and he stoped at 340 and sat down I waited bout another 3 mins and then barked again and he stood up to leave and I fed him in the neck hoping for no damage.It wasn't even bad either. I start with one more sequence of some yipping,squalling rabitt and wait.Next thing I see something comming from west of me I move everything into position and look through the scope.... D%$$...It's a RED FOX comming as hard as it can come..Hmm what do ya doo, I let him come to about 30 yards and then throw my mit at him...I tell you he left so fast all I could see was snow screen.lol lol

Next stand things go a bit more like they normally do. I spot one sitting bout 800 yards out in this feild.I just note his position and keep driving bout 18 mile futher till I'm more than out of sight and hopefully hearing range. Get out and start walking paralell the him I get about 400 yards off the road and set up. Start with some barking and very soft rabbit singing.Bam not 3 mins there is two on the hill in front of me....650yards out. One starts to come but stops at 540 and sits down,#2 starts to come and keeps comming.He stops at 410 and sits down,meanwhile #1 is laying down now.I sit for bout 10mins playing a toon off and on but nothing is moving them, so I start doing the numbers.
(wind bout 8-12 mph..10 mph is 18"at 500yards hmmm ah about 20" will do. elivation is the 500 yard dot just a bit high..Ya that looks good)
I take aim on the far one and I throw my mitt in the air, shure enough the closest one stands up and the far one sits up. Just then I send one out and I see him go over backwards.The close one runs out a bit and stops and looks in the direction of the dead one. I take aim on him thinking he is bout 500yards. I give bout 18" wind and scweezzz one off.As the gun settles I see Mr. yote leaving...%$#%^$&%(&% Is my thoughts, how could I miss. O well I'll get him another day,I walk out to get the one that I KNOW is down.I just can't beleive I missed,so I walk over to where I last seen it,I cut the tracks and follow them over the hill only to see..........Dead coyote.......HELLALOOOHA she was shot throught the lungs and ran bout 75 yards and bit the dirt.I lazered from the point I thought she was standing back to the scrub brush I was laying beside.It was 488yards.

fa17a446.jpg

The one futhest in is the 340yard neck shot
The one on the left is frontal at 540yards
An the one on right is 488yard lung runner.lol

That's some mighty fine shooting Tex! I wish I could lay claim to some marksmanship as such!

What kinda optics were you using?

Nice pic. too!

CAPTSTEVO:
There are some pics of left over's from this gun under the post 5 FOR THE DAY BUT NOT PREETY.
On the 22-284 there is a 4.5x14 leaplod..on my 22-250 heavy barrle I have a 4x16x50 with the target turrents.

Well with the amount that we shoot milk jugs and paper.About 200-400 rounds at verious ranges mostly long stuff,400-700yards.

Ps.I never leave the house with out my Leica range finder.(well one day I did and got 40 miles from home and realized I had no range finder that was a very slow morrning)
Ya see, affter the first month of the season it is very tough to get them much closer than 400 yards.There is too many 10 min callers around here.
It should get better in the next week or so,once the yotes get into breeding.

Crazycooydog,

Looks like you guys have somesnow since I passed through there last. What is your yearly total looking like this year? I was out there shooting gophers last spring and heard about someone shooting coyotes with there wildcat. His first name was Darcy is the you by any chance?

Scott

Prairie Hunter

No that is not me, he is in a legue all his own.Last I heard he had 160 and that was bout 2 weeeks ago.He uses 223,22-243 and 22-284. He just got his 284 shooting again, he had some problem with the bullets blowing up in mid airand not making it to a target 100 yards away.I just talked to him yesterday and he showed me a target that he shot at 600 yardswith his 22-284. Two rounds less that 1" apart.

My count is only 74 coyotes in the deep freez,4 I left because of way too many burrs and 3 mangey ones.

There is three guys shooting 22-284 around here.
One is useing 68gr bullets.
One shooting 80gr's
And the other, I'm not sure if he's got his gun figured out yet.

CrazyCooyDog

What's calls are working for you guys right now? Sound's like you guys are getting good numbers thats great, when I was up there in the summer It's sounded like the yotes have really been taking there toll on the deer and antelope. Do you go out when it is as cold as it is today about -39 with the wind chill?Why did you opt to pass on the red fox? One more question who does your guys gunsmithing?

Prairie Hunter

I only have two calls that I normally carry with me.Critter getter and Night&Hale howler( :eek: I use the howler for most of my rabbit calls)I just got the new JS jack call but haven't used it very much.

I would have been out today but the daycare is on hollydays /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif and the woman has to work 11-4:00 witch really sucks cuse it kills the hole day. Oh well I guess I will have to get the last 8 yotes thawed and pealed this evening.

I passed on the fox because for the pased two years I have really wanted to get a good fox to keep and tan,but have allways riped them apart( very big holes)I have shot 3 last year(two with my 17 and one with my 22-250) and 2 this year(one with 17 and one 22-250)
Call me superstisous but,last year when I quit manguling fox's,my yote numbers went up. the first three days of hunting this year I saw only 2 yotes and 5 fox and affter messing up two more I said I will not shoot any more fox.Call it a mojo thing but it was just like someone had fliped a switch.. I am way ahead of my number from last year.....Less time=double the coyotes in the freezzer
(I would like to think that it has something to do with the "GODS" "If I don't shot fox they will give me more coyotes" it sound stupid but ya can't question the numbers.)
All so I thought if the 22-250 does damage the 22-284 would leave only pieces to pick up.

I belive Darcy goes to a smith in Leader name of Stricker(But I had a run in with this guy and will never go back to him EVER.It was a bad situation the gun never shot from day one..it was a 17rem on a sako action.He wouldn't do anything to even try and make it right)
One other guy has had some done in Haver mont.and all so some guy in Saskatoon.He is very pleased with bolth guys and the guns they did. Haver guy did a couple 17rem's a 6.5-300. The Toon guy did a 257,22-250 and the 22-284 that I am useing now.

CC I got out too but no show. Beleive it or not I heard frogs peeping in the wet hole at one stand, had flys buzz in my face and saw other insects too. That's very unseasonal. All the feilds are mud and ditches and creeks are flooded Hopefully things will get back to normal. Two weeks ago we had close to a foot of snow. Nice looking fur!TT

Thanks TomTalker

Ya the yotes are in good shape around here. Dang tough to call though.
We have bout 8"-10" of snow and the temp right now is -28 with wind chill at -39. I decided would be better time spent at the range today, and get the rest of my yotes pealed.
I hope tommorrow will be a bit better.

Keep your eyes sharp and shoot straight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Prairie Hunter

How do things look up your way. Hows the calling going for you. Do you have lots of ski-doers up there too. what kind of numbers are ya getting.
Witch buyer are ya useing. bryan & Phill.

To be honest I haven't been out much. I'm a biathlete, skiing and shooting and I've been training and travelling for races. I race every everyweekend plus train full time and work when I can. The race season ends and the end of march the end of fur season. During the early season I would muzzleloader hunt when possible. Sometimes I can get out for 3-4hours. I've called in a couple this year but was using the .17hmr and need them closer. I'll take the center fire next time. I'm fairly new to calling how long have you been calling. And snowmobiliers we have lots but I haven't seen them chasing any dogs yet.

GoodHunting, It's a bit chilly out there today -24 and 40-60 km gusts.

Prairie Hunter

I have only been calling for bout 7(years) seasons. The first two were very slow, I think the first year we only called 3 yotes in about 45 calls,of them three we only shot two.Very sad.

The second year we were 23 yotes for 78 calls with only 16 kills.
the third year we practiced very hard on shooting at the range, and the calling in the house,truckor any where we were. It progesivly got better from there.

This last year I have put a lot int learning more ABOUT COYOTES,and it realy has helped.

Crazy,
Nice shooting!!
Proof again that with the right equipment and preparation long shots are very makeable.

I have to wonder how you guys hide your truck in that country? Do the coyotes see it and come in anyway?
Do you have trouble getting rangefinder readings with your Leica on that flat white landscape, how far out will it give you reliable readings?

My Bushnell is worthless in flat white country.

AHunter

I had a bushnell last year only used it for bout 6 weeks.. sold it and early this season bought a leica..
It really depends on the day.
really bright days= shorter distances( but still way better than bushnel
cloudy days=very good readings(just a little bit better than bushnel
snowy days=not as good as bushnell BUT

The Leica will pick up smaller target than bushnell.
Leica will only range 1199 I think. The farthest I have ranged anything is 1125yards. I had my bushnell range a road sign at 1900 yards (refective target)
Some days are better than others for rangeing. I have ranged lots between 450-600yards beyond that the day needs to be a bit overcast,then it will work to 1100-1200.

As for the truck, there is some hills but normally ya need to walk bout 4-600 yards min to get good spots where they have room to come down wind if they want to.

AS for "right equipment and preparation long shots are very makeable".
I saw a coyote shot at 750 yards.Let me tell ya that was AWSOME.

But I do beleive that there is very few guys that can do this...It takes more than a rangefinder and big gun to do this kind of shooting.(this is more like bench rest competion shooting,there is only a few that are very good at it.There is no room for mistakes at them ranges.)It takes years of practice,and really knowing your gun.

SO KIDS DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME....

Back