Wanted 243AI load data

17 cal

I am getting ready to start shooting my new AI what are some good loads. I picked up 70g sierra hpbt matchkings would like to use some hogdon ball powder thanks.

The 243AI is about same/same as the 6mm rem. You can source 6mm rem data pretty easily. Start low and work up....etc etc etc.

I use 6mm Rem. data for starting/max loads. I test to see what my max is anyways, but it's a good starting point. I use the 105 Amax and H4831 in mine, it shoots about .5-.75 MOA out to 800 yards or so. Haven't tested it farther. Also, 87 Vmax and H414 was a good combination, killed a prairie dog and a rockchuck at 780 with it. Pretty dang explosive. 58 Vmax and H4895 was a good combo for a fur load that shoots flat. Also very explosive on smaller varmints.

I do about the same, I work up to where I feel comfortable. Where are you at (speedwise) with the 4831/105's? I started with R-22 and it shot great at distance, but I didn't get the speeds I was looking for without pressure. On a whim I tried R-17 and was pleasantly suprised. Currently I'm running moly'd 105Amax's at 3250. The accuracy is holding up just like with the R-22 load, it's just faster.

17 Cal, I shot 10's of thousands of 70's in a 243 AI with a 12 twist on dog towns. Partner and I shot Win 760 with a CCI 250 primer, 47g to fire form, 48-48.5 on formed loads.

Groups were extremely tiny in the low 2's for three shot groups.

70g TNT, 70g Blitz king, and 70g NOsler BT provide increadable acrobatics on p. dogs and chucks. These 70's at that speed will cut a large rock chuck in half.

Your gun will be particular on which bullet it likes. Our rifles loved the bullet to be contacting if not a slight jam on the bullets.

You should expect the loads to shoot less than 1/3" at 200, and 1" at 300.

Good luck!

I had one semi good load that was going 3250, but I backed off to this load, which is going 3150 last time I checked. ~21 MOA to 1000 according to JBM. I've gotten a couple .5" 3 shot groups at 200, and it almost always puts 5 under 1". I would try R-17, but I want a temp stable one so that I don't have to worry about it during the summer.

Yep. Hammers rabbits and coyotes. Haven't shot a chuck with the 105s yet. Just shot 2 rabbits at 255 and it blew them in half about. Missed twice at 530, thought it was 430. I can't judge range w/o some sort of elevation change or reference. Anyways, I'm going to try to get into the 1000 yard club with it this spring, might have to switch to the 115 VLDs though.

Last spring I poked a woodchuck with a 105Amax just shy of the 1000yd mark, he was at about 980yards. It rolled him and had him flopping, but he did make it back down the hole so I didn't actually get to lay my hands on him.

I just run a Mark4 3.5-10x40 on my 243AI, a 1000yard woodchuck is a little tough to get on with just 10x's, but you can do it.

I run the Redding 3-Die Set. You only have to buy them once.
smile.gif

100_2782.jpg

The fireform load in 2 different guns was 70gr @ 3750-3850 depending on bullet and primer. Powder W760/48.3-48.7 depending....... One barrel is 26"/ 13" twist, the other is 25"/ 9-1/2" twist. Chamber in both is .273"nk, 0 freebore. The faster twist gun was fussier to make shoot. Accuracy load with formed brass is the same or very close.

I just got a new (to me) custom built 243AI
Ruger M77 Action Bluepinted
26" Lilja Barrel
Canjar Trigger
Action Bedded/Barrel Free Floated
Custom Wood Stock with hand engraving (beautiful)
I just mounted a 6.5-20X56mm Leupold VX-3L on it today.
I can't wait to go to the range. I shot about 20 pieces of brass through it the other day with no scope just cause I couldn't wait to shoot it and to start fireforming some of the brass. It was fun to shoot even with no scope!
For fireforming I am using 44.5gr of H414 with a 80gr. Sierra Matchking bullet.

I plan on starting my reloading with 70gr Sierra Blitzking bullets and H414.
Hopefully she will shoot as good as she looks!

Brad, I have a VX-II 6-18 Target on it. It doesn't track true 1/4 MOA so I still have to run it out on every range, but it does return to zero. I really want a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 for that reason, not to mention a Nightforce is a few steps up in glass and toughness. I really need to get a job lol. I don't know if you've talked to Flybuster(Tanner Furniss) much, but he is building himself a .284 to shoot the 180 VLDs. He said he wanted to come out and make the 1500 yard club on a chuck
blink.gif
I think it's crazy, but I'm up for anything lol
thumbup1.gif

I use the same dies as Brad. I want a BR seater, but I don't know how much difference that will really make. The micrometer is really helpful though.

Well not to completely hijack this dudes 243A.I. thread, my other buddy (not verminator) has a 1-8" twist .243A.I. The gun is built on a xp-100 action with a Hart 26" rem varmint contour.

He has a couple of 70 grain loads. His main one is 70 Speer TNT and the other is 70 Noslers. As Ackleyman says, they create spectacular acrobatics on varmints. I was impressed and surprised to witness a cartwheeling rockchuck at 400+ yards with such a small bullet. They kinda loose their poop at the longer ranges, like when he hit one at 800 yards. But excellent price and performance with the 70 TNT. I can't remember if he was using H-4350 or H-4895 but the load was going 3750-3800 fps. Extreme paper accuracy, he won our local rockchuck match one year with the 70s. Shot at rockchuck sized target at 200 yards unsupported prone and 300 yards front supported.

Verminator 2 has a 87 grain v-max load that is some pretty potent stuff right there.

Yes Ben, the .284 Win is almost ready to rock. I have it built and sitting here, parts such as boreguides and rods are trickling in. Still haven't got dies. It may be crazy to think I can hit a chuck at that distance, but I have to keep pushing the envelope. We can try it, I think the gear is up to the task. I question the shooter! lol.

Flybuster, if you spend long enough in the field you'll get it done. We've learned that being that far away the hog usually will be right back out after a miss. then you can make corrections and give it another whirl

Sweet! You'll have to bring it out sometime this spring. We already saw a rockchuck a week ago. I think one of our problems is going to be seeing a chuck that far lol.

Verminator2 what's your load with h414/w760 and the 87 vmax? Have you chrono'ed it? I have worked up a load myself and am getting around 3400 fps. I am hoping to get a little better accuracy. H4831 is the powder I used but also have h414.

Partagas, I shot the 87's at 3550 with 45.5g of Win 760 with a CCI 250 primer, accuracy was .300 or a little less.

This was an absolute MAX load for my rifle, so I would start off at 43.5g and work up in your gun.

My rifle had a 1-12 twist, so the pressure will be a little higher in your rifle...take that into consideration also.

What was interesting was that there was much more copper in my barrel after shooting the 87's at 3550 than shooting the 70's at 3850. I rarely ever shot anything past 450, so I stuck with the 70's.

Good luck and let us know what you find out works well in your rifle.

Back