How good are shilen barrels?

Both are fine manufacturers. I have plenty of both and like them both. All of my new Savage stuff is Shilen. If you have not seen it; here is a good listing of the better barrel makers:
6mmbr Barrel Page

John

I have/had several of both. I have had one of each that didn't shoot up to my expectations. Not terrible groups, just not what I wanted.

Other than those two, Both seemed to be very nice barrels. Haven't shot any of them out, can't comment there. I think you can get the Shilen a bit cheaper.

They are both good, but IMO and lots of others, there is considerably better...You dont see to many shilens and Pac nors winning anything type of LR events anyways...

Krieger, Lilja, HART, Mick Rock 5R, Schneider, Lothar Walther, etc..These are barrels that have a track record lately for winning LR events. Well worth the bit of extra money...

My last 25-06 on a 700 wore a shilen light varmint and it was a 1/2 MOA shooter with several loads consistently. Good barrel. Cleaned up nice and was accurate, I was happy with it.

Only other rifle I own with a custom barrel is my 338 EDGE on a rem 700 and it wears a 28" HART Stainless/fluted sendero contour. It also is a 1/2 MOA shooter and cleans up real nice.

My next rebarrel is either my stevens 243 or my rem 700 in 7 RM. I will be trying either a Krieger or Mike Rock 5R on them this time around.

My old 22-250 Ruger 77 bull barrel is toast, the throat is gone. I can barely start a slug into case mouth and chamber it and the rifling does not contact the bullet any where.

It is pretty obvious I need a new barrel, this rifle does not shoot near as good as it use, had it 40 years now.

I have been thinking changing to a 1 to 10 twist rate and adding 6 inches to the barrel get an over all length of 30 inches. It seems to me that this would be the way to go shooting the 70 grain slugs.

In this particular 22-250 barrel that I have now the 55 grain slugs always shot the tightest groups with IMR 3031.

Has anyone here tried out a barrel with this twist rate and heavier bullet in the 22-250? I think I maybe I am headed in the right direction, barrel weight is not much of a consideration, I got an ATV. thanks for any input

Originally Posted By: kyotekiller25They are both good, but IMO and lots of others, there is considerably better...You dont see to many shilens and Pac nors winning anything type of LR events anyways...

Krieger, Lilja, HART, Mick Rock 5R, Schneider, Lothar Walther, etc..These are barrels that have a track record lately for winning LR events. Well worth the bit of extra money...

My last 25-06 on a 700 wore a shilen light varmint and it was a 1/2 MOA shooter with several loads consistently. Good barrel. Cleaned up nice and was accurate, I was happy with it.

Only other rifle I own with a custom barrel is my 338 EDGE on a rem 700 and it wears a 28" HART Stainless/fluted sendero contour. It also is a 1/2 MOA shooter and cleans up real nice.

My next rebarrel is either my stevens 243 or my rem 700 in 7 RM. I will be trying either a Krieger or Mike Rock 5R on them this time around.

Is a lothar walther a better barrel than a shilen? I think there both around the same price.

I've got two Shilen's and like them both. We talk about group's in fractions of an inch, competors talk about them in thousandth of an inch.

All those hotrod 1/2" rifles varmit shooter's love would get you laughed off a bench rest line! I also think that the best barrel in the world, whoever makes it, will do no better than the person that chambered and fitted it.

Seem's to me that Shilen used to claim they provided Tony Boyer with barrels. If that is true they must shoot pretty good. I think I saw that on their web site when I got my barrels.

My shilen-barreled 700 in 338-06 is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned...period.
That said, it is the only custom barrel I have ever owned,but have owned many an accurate rifle over the years.

good shootin'
johnny

Totally agreed on the smith who does the work...Thats about the most important factor right there.

Pick a good smith and you wont have any problems 99.99% of the time with any custom barrel.

Lother Walther barrels have won some Lr events??? I was wondering about these barrels. I here they use a special blend of stainless sorta like 17-4 that is suppose to be very resilient to throat erosion. I've been thinking about building a 22-250 on a Sako AII action and a Lother Walther
barrel. I never knew these barrels have won any matches. Grizz

I fit my own barrels and dont claim to be an expert gunsmith by any means and, I dont claim to be a competative BR shooter either but, Ive had my best luck with Shilen barrels. Almost every Shilen I have will group in the 2's lead pipe sinch.
The other barrels from top barrel manufacturers just dont consistantly shoot as well as my Shilens.

I talked to Bob Gamboa one of the worlds best long range target shooters and he will not buy a Shilen barrel for any caliber other than a .223.my last gun I had built was a 6.5-284 on a Shilen barrel and it is junk, contacted them and the comment was oh well some times that happens.never another one and I have had 3 of them.just my opinion for what its worth.

FWIW,

I read the Benchrest Shoot reports, and see that Shilen barrels are used by competetive shooters. I don't recall ever seeing a PacNor barrel listed.
I have two sporters with shilen CM barrels that are amazingly accurate. One is a 250AI, and the other is a 7x57.
For Stainless Steel builds, I use Hart Barrels.

Last edited:
timberpatch I am building a 22-250 with a 1in 9 twist it is rated for the 70 grain slug that you are shooting. instead of the 1 in 10 you might want to check into the 1 in 9. and see which one would work better.

I don't shoot BR, I don't even read who does and what barrels they use. I do own four Shilen barrels and I have on order one more. I certainly wouldn't have bought more than one if there was a problem with any part of it. They are all amazingly accurate, easy to clean and for the money I spent worth every dime. I don't shoot dimes either.....

Last edited:
Back