Opinions on older Ruger 77 with tang safety

In my opinion, I like the tang saftey better. I have bolth models and prefer the older one. They bolth shoot great just like the feal of the tang.

Originally Posted By: Shynloco....Also, there are only two types of Ruger barrels....good ones and bad ones.

An excellent statement to describe the tang-safety Rugers. Either they shot extremely well or you just weren't going to get them to shoot at all without a new barrel.

Before Ruger began their own barrel production, the street word was that they were paying about $3 a piece for barrels bought in large quantities. Some were good and some weren't...

Keep in mind that was in 1960's-1970's dollars, but still not a big investment in good quality barrels even back then.

-BCB

I was lucky enough to get one of the good barrels on my 270.
It has a very thin barrel profile, but has always shot around .5". Its killed over 40 deer over the years.

I live in NE KS... Purchased a Ruger M77 Tang Safety model in 25-06 in 1984.... didn't know anything about barrel break in at the time... not even sure I cleaned it before I started shooting it...Just mounted a Leupold VARX III scope on it and started kiliing things with it. It is a work horse..I have never had the action out of the stock. It doesn't matter whether I handload 87 grain coyote loads for it or 100 gr or 117 Gr loads for it, it likes a max charge and will group under 1 MOA day in and day out.
It has served me well on Colo. Elk hunts as well as Wyoming Antelope hunts, has taken more Whitetails than I care to count. and many a song dog's last heard sound came from it..Anytime one of my buddies need to borrow a rifle... they choose my 25 over everything else I offer them... it has never failed to get the job done... What more could you ask?

i have a 1/2 dozen or so of the old tangs, to me there is nothing like the old blueing and wood on the old tangs, most of mine that have been shot will outshoot me, they are however a PIA to install a complete trigger in however midway sells a $30 drop in trigger sear that makes a world of differnece I love em as stated above they will be the last of the sticks standing in the safe Ron

I just picked up a 338 win mag tang saftey 1985 mod. I haven't shot it yet but it is excellent shape. Like kunas said the blueing and wood on it is excellent. Looks like a rifle should look. The trigger is not to bad but i have felt better the action feels really good it just a well built gun. Cant wait to shoot it and get a load worked up for it. I really like being able to open the bolt with the safety on.

Originally Posted By: mrcreoleHave an opportunity to pick up an older 77 in 25-06 with the tang safety. I have not owned a 77 but have not heard glowing reviews over the newer ones. Opinions on accuracy potential appreciated. Wood stock, like new.

Its a great gun I own a Bicentenial M77 in a 22-250 and it shoots like a laser beam. Its the only gun ever fired on my target range that can consistantly shoot a 1" target at 200 yards! BUY IT IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY

SAFETY NOTICE: I'M NOT SURE IF ALL OF YOU M77 OWNERS OUT THERE NOW THIS OR NOT BUT THERE IS A RECALL ON THE M77 TANG GUNS MANUFACTURE FROM 1968-1991 IF YOUR GUN HAS HAD THE RECALL PERFORMED IT WILL HAVE A "T" ENGRAVED UNDER THE BOLT HANDLE. I SENT MINE BACK A FEW YEARS AGO AND HAD IT DONE. TURN AROUND TIME WAS A FEW WEEKS. I HAVE POSTED A FEW PICTURES OF MY BOLT HANDLE AND YOU CAN SEE THE ENGRAVED "T"(FOR TRIGGER RECALL) CIRCLED IN RED
LINK IS BELOW

http://www.ruger.com/pdf/m77.pdf

P1016064.jpg

P1016067.jpg

Last edited:
Back