Tikka T3 or CZ527 which is better???

Redtail204

I was looking to pick up a Tikka T3 or a CZ527 to pickup used, and rebarrel to either 17Rem or 204 Ruger. There are a couple of them used in the paper a good prices but not the calibers I want, so I was going to have them rebarreled.

Anyone have any suggestions on which of the rifles would be better suited for this project, and which is the better action to use? Thanks!

I would vote CZ527 due to the fact that it is chambered from the factory in both .17 Rem and .204. They are fine shooting rifles for sure. If you were to get a Tikka, you would have to go with the .204 from the factory. I think rebarreling one to a .17 would be pretty spendy to say the least compared to going with a factory CZ. Not sure if it is still available, but there was a new CZ527 in .17 Rem here on the classified listed by huntnpa that was very reasonably priced. Here is a link:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...401#Post1519401

Originally Posted By: stealthmanI would vote CZ527 due to the fact that it is chambered from the factory in both .17 Rem and .204. They are fine shooting rifles for sure. If you were to get a Tikka, you would have to go with the .204 from the factory. I think rebarreling one to a .17 would be pretty spendy to say the least compared to going with a factory CZ. Not sure if it is still available, but there was a new CZ527 in .17 Rem here on the classified listed by huntnpa that was very reasonably priced. Here is a link:

Had I not had me a fine shooting Remington 700 in .17 Rem, I would have bought that CZ that Stealthman is mentioning. $500 new and will throw in the shipping? That there is a deal for sure.

And as Stealthman says, good deals on great shooting CZ 527 rifles are to be had. Given a choice between a .17 Remington or a .204 I would go for the .17 myself, but I have such good shooting .223 rifles that I really have not much use for the .204. I will keep the one that I have, but I doubt that I will ever wear it out.

I would take a hard look at this to_Originally Posted By: stealthmanI would vote CZ527 due to the fact that it is chambered from the factory in both .17 Rem and .204. They are fine shooting rifles for sure. If you were to get a Tikka, you would have to go with the .204 from the factory. I think rebarreling one to a .17 would be pretty spendy to say the least compared to going with a factory CZ. Not sure if it is still available, but there was a new CZ527 in .17 Rem here on the classified listed by huntnpa that was very reasonably priced. Here is a link:

cz would be my choice, set trigger from the factory mini mauser action, why not just buy a 17 rem factory cz or 204 Ron

for such a project, I would pick the CZ for the reasons Kunas gives, and becuase it's a nice short action.
AFIK, the tikka actions are longer than need be. if that matters much. I have had 3 cz's stiil have one, and tikkas.
all good. the CZ just cost more, but in your case, the difference in $$ is probably moot.

I keep dreaming of putting a Shilen barrel on my cz .221 fireball. same caliber, just throw $ at a tight 45gr bullet col chambered barrel.
which reminds me, I need to buy some more lottery tickets!!

Nothing against Tikka but I would go for the CZ 527.CZ has a reputation for excellent out of the box accuracy and reliability.That combined with a really nice trigger seals it for me.I would go with either .222 or .204 Ruger.The .17's never had much appeal to me.

Have both. Really like both, but they are different rifles.
Tikka has probably the smoothest bolt you will ever use. Probably a better barrel than the cz.
The cz would be my choice for what you are doing. It has a true mini action, whereas the tikka uses spacers so they will all operate on the same action, regardless of cartride length. The tikka would probably be more hassle to rebarrel. Also, if you intend to single load, then cz is the hands down winner because the tikka has such a small opening (useful for some reasons, but not single loading). Both have nice, crisp triggers, but cz has the set trigger that is really!! nice.
After rebarreling a bargain gun, you will probably have spent more than just buying the caliber you originally wanted.
Just my thoughts.

I've owned several model 550 & 527 CZ's and several 658, 595 & T3 Tikka's. Both manufacturers produce excellent rifles. I prefer the Tikka's (since they're closer to my Sako's) and ended up selling the CZ's.

In my experience the out of the box accuracy goes to Tikka but not by much, CZ's shoot very well also. Tikka has a MUCH smoother action. Tikka's trigger is easier to adjust -1 screw vs 3 for CZ. Tikka's safety is operates like I've alway's been used to, it's not backwards like the CZ. I also prefer Tikka's magazines to the 527 CZ's.

I'd give CZ a slight edge to the overall metal finish and their wooden and fiberglass stocks are nicer than Tikka's wooden and plastic stocks but I've never had any issues with Tikka's stocks. CZ also has a short action where Tikka uses long actions even for the smaller calibers.CZ is controlled feed, Tikka is push feed. At the range I can single load a Tikka, can do that with a CZ unless you use a single feed follower.

As I previously stated I think BOTH brands are excellent and wouldn't hestitate to recommed either. The choice boils down to what suits YOU best.

Thanks for the replies, There is a 527 in 223 and a Tikka in 7mm-08 both of which I have no use for, I have always shot either model 700's or model 70's, I here a lot of you guys praising the CZ's and Tikka's so I was looking in that direction for my next calling rifle.

I got a like new CZ 527 American in .204 ruger, beautiful looking walnut gun that's almost to nice to take to the woods. I may part with it as i find myself using my AR15 most of the time. The set trigger is like no other trigger i ever had, i thought the accutrigger was great until i tried this one. I would say the bolt is just as smooth as the Tikka is also, either gun is a great gun, you can't go wrong with either!

You can single feed the CZ's. One of the two ways I do it is to squeeze the extractor a bit as you are chambering a cartridge so the extractor goes over the rim of the cartridge. People have been doing that with M98 Mausers for years.

The other way is, since my magazines are generally pretty snug, I just unlatch them like I am removing them and just lower them about 1/8 to 3/16". Then just drop a cartridge in and cycle the bolt. I haven't had one fall out on the bench yet.

I would have to go with CZ I own both guns but I like the small action of the CZ as opposed to the 1 size fits all Tikka action but both are great guns and excellent shooters

Back