6-18 VXII

steveg

Does anyone using on of these have eye relief problems? Mine is so critical its very difficult to use. I was doing some night calling with the full moon, called in a red fox and could'nt get on him long enough for a shot. I can understand this happening on 18 power but I put it on 6 and no diff. When I got home I took out another rifle with a 4.5-14 VXIII and I had no problem on 14. A buddy had the same scope (6-18) a couple weeks ago-not on a rifle-his seemed alot better than mine. Its accurate and holds a zero but its pretty unforgiving. Maybe mine needs to go back to Leupold.
I need a replacement in the mean time so I ordered another VXIII with VH Reticle.

I also have one of these scopes, VXII 6-18x40 AO with the fine duplex and target turrets. I too found eye relief was critical, which of course is not ideal for hunting conditions
smile.gif
I finding its by far a better "range" scope than a field scope. My model of scope is considered a target scope and I have to keep reminding myself of that
smile.gif

I had a Leupold 6.5 X 20 and sold it, because the eye relief was driving me crazy.

I really like the Leupold 4 X 12's. I don't have any eye relief problems with the 4 X 12's no matter what power I have them on.

Thanks guys. I sent an email off to Leupold cust. service. Maybe there's a fix??? I'll let you know what the come up with.

Every Leupold I have ever owned was a pain in the butt when it comes to eye relief. Maybe it's just my eyes or age. If time isn't a factor(targets on paper)they are great, but for a dog moving in on your location, not so much.

I own more Leupolds than I want my wife to find out about and I haven't had any problem with the eye relief on them. I mount them quite a ways forward compared to most people and they naturally end up with proper eye relief when I mount the gun. Did you have the scope professionally mounted? They may have given you the "One-size-fits-all" mount job. It's not to say that it makes the eye relief less critical--it just makes it naturally correct for you. Just a thought. YMMV.

That's odd considering Leupold has more eye relief than most other brands of scopes. It's one reason a lot of guys shooting heavy recoiling guns choose Leupold. Are you sure it isn't positioned to far back/forward for the way YOU shoot, not set up for someone else and the way they mount the rifle?

Leupold with eye relief trouble ??
Get your scopes mounted correctly and all will be fine.

I push mine as much forward as possible and have never had a bit of trouble.

Leupold with eye relief trouble ??
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
That's a new one by me !!!!!

Also just so we are really sure what is going on. Eye Relief issue would be that the scope blacks out and you cant see an image unless you move your head closer. Parallax issue would be a matter of being able to see through the scope but not clearly. Is the eye piece properly adjusted.

I mounted the scope myself just like I always do. I use Leupold one piece bases/rings. I use alignmet rods and lap the rings. It is an eye relief issue and not paralax. It makes no difference moving the scope forward or back. Its the only Leupold I own that has ever given me a problem. It makes no difference which power it is on. I emailed Leupold but no response yet.

Steveg, I have 8 or 10 Leupold scopes and the only one I have trouble with eye relief on is the 6-18x40. I think it is just something with that particular power as my son has one with the same deal. It seems like there is a very narrow window of eye relief,it is fine shooting from a bench but if you shoot frome a prone position it is hard to get it right.

Last edited:
Thanks Blackhawk- You're right, it works well for target but its awful in the field. Like I said earlier my buddy has the same scope- in fact we ordered them together. His is WAY more forgiving than mine. Oh well I needed another VXIII anyways!!!!!

I have one on my 22 - 250 it is the 6x18x40 LRV retical 17 coyotes and a couple of domestics that were chasing Elk no problems.

I've got 2 of them and use them extensively on my LR rigs on everything from coyotes to elk.

Eye relief is not a problem, but it is critical that you set it up properly or you will see a lot of "black", in that aspect, they are not very forgiving, I do agree somewhat. I think it depends more on the person, some people just dont have the natural ability to pull up a rifle/scope and get a clear sight picture.

Have to have your head positioned just right and a good cheek weld or you'll have that problem.

I can pull them up on 6 or 18x and not have any problems, but then again, I have it set up properly and been using them for 10 years.

They are very very good scopes for the money IMO. I've had them on eveyrthing from a 25-06 up to a 300 RUM and use them out to 1200 yards. ONly had 1 problem with one of the scopes in 10 years not tracking perfectly. I zero them at 200 yards, and I dialed up for a 600 yard shot at a coyote, after that shot, I dialed back down to the 200y zero and seen a coyote about 100 yards out, I ended up shooting about 5ft over him that first shot, but the 2nd I got him. Thats been the 1 and only instance in literally thousands of time spinning the knobs.

Back