Converting m.o.a. to inches

There are 1.0472" in 1 MOA, so--

20/4/1.0472=4.77MOA

I like to use the mil-ranging formula though for almost all of my calculations since it defines not only rangefinding with a reticle or turret system but also downrange zeroing as well, and i only have to memorize 1 formula for just about everything.--

20 x 100 / 1.0472 / X = 400 (actually the same as the formula above just rearranged and simplified)

X=4.77 MOA

What advantage it there to converting inch's to MOA? Seem's like a lot of figureing just to move 20". I've heard others say this is better too, just never could figure it out.

The idea is to hold dead on at certain ranges rather than guess where 18 - 74 inches of drop is. Using the formula provided I now know at 450 yards my m.o.a. is 5.92. Easier to dial 5.92 m.o.a. than guess 27.92".

I hear ya... I don't think I'd want a scope that ran in .01 MOA clicks... that'd be a lot of clickin'. I actually prefer 1/2" clicks myself.

For something like 1/24", I'm happy enough to call 1 M.O.A = 1".

grin.gif
grin.gif

Holy cow batman, I can't shoot that good anyway!

27.9" I figure is 24.8 clicks @ 1/4 per @ 100. How many clicks is it for min of angle? Got to be the same. 24.8 clicks would leave you about 1/4" low.

Dude...

It totally depends on the range that you're figuring the the 27.9".

If it needs to come up 28" for a 300 yard compensation... then you'd need to dial in 37 of the 1/4" clicks (+9.25" @ 100yds)... because every 4 "clicks" equals a 3" elevation correction at 300 yards.

If it needs to come up 28" for a 400 yard compensation... then you'd need to dial in 28 of the 1/4" clicks (+7" @ 100 yards)... because every 4 "clicks" equals a 4" elevation correction at 400 yards.

If your scope is set-up for 1/4" clicks (or 1/2"... or 1/8"... etc.)... then you need to figure your drop out in INCHES... "MOA" means nothing to you... even though they're nearly interchangable.

This whole system is MUCH easier to think about in whole inches rather than "clicks". From a 200 yard zero it's sooooo much simpler to just have a chart that says:

.25-06 Rem, 115 VLD @ 3150, 5000' Ele. (or whatever you're shooting)
200 = 0
300 = +2"
350 = +3"
400 = +4"
450 = +5.25"
500 = +6.5"
550 = +7.75"
600 = +9"
650 = +10.5"
700 = +12"
etc...

Then... just look at the dial on the scope... and turn it to the coresponding number... and WHAMMY. Afer the shot, dial back to your "0"... and you're ready to do it all again.

See if I got this right. Your zeroed at 200yds and the incresae is what you'd have to raise the POI at at two hundred to be on at that range? If that is right it makes more sense.

The increase is what you have to raise the POI at 100 yards... so, if you were to zero the rifle for 700 yards. then shot it on a large paper at 100 yards... it would hit 13" high (12" you added to the 200 yard "zero", plus the 1" that you already had at 100 yards to make the "200 yard zero"). If you were wanting numbers from a 100 yard zero... then add 1" to each of the above numbers.

It's much easier to understand if you look at the turrets on the scope. They are typically numbered: 3, 6, 9, 12 (sometimes 15 depending on number of inches per revolution). You zero your scope at 100 (or 200) then reset the dial to "0"... now, you just turn the turret untill it corresponds to the appropriate number for the distance required. Using the above chart: if your shot is 600 yards... you dial the turret to "9"... and hold dead center. By adding the 9" of elevation to the scope... you've compensated for 54" of drop from your 200 yard zero... tough to guess that 54" "hold over"... but very easy to correct for the -54" with a simple adjustment to the scope. After the shot, dial the turret back down to "0", and your dead on at 200 again. If the shot is an odd distance... say 472 yards... then I split the distance between the 5.25" for 450, and the 6.5" for 500... and dial the turret to 6"... again, take dead aim.

While the whole system seems rather complicated... it is actually quite simple once you get up and running with it.

Last edited:
It's really sort of an education. U sort of have to understand the "lingo" as well as the system itself. If u tell a guy that your gun is capable of shooting 10" groups at a thousand yds. that tells him just a small bit of info. But if u say that the gun is capable of 1 minute out to 1000, then he understands that that's ~1" at 100, 2 at 200, 3 @ 300, etc. If your spotter tells u you're a "minute" right at 565 yds. u don't have to think, well OK that's 5.9", but dang how many clicks is that at 565 yds...? Crap, where's my calculator? U can just dial another 4 clicks (for .25 MOA clicks) quickly on the scope turret.

It's kind of an education in angles really. U start to work with words like subtension, interpolation, minute of angle (MOA), Shooter's MOA (SMOA), inch per hundred yds. (IPHY) mil, milliradian, mil-relation theory, etc.

It's fun...IMO. Sort of opens a new door to shooting some don't know even exists.

Once u start playing with this stuff, u'll never look at a turret or reticle the same way again. Instead of just an aiming point/points in the FOV u'll start thinking of them as optical measuring devices.

Jeez Don, u're purty close to one fo the big names in the long-range business, Darrell Holland. He's right up there in Powers, OR. Puts on a L-R shooting school and comp. www.hollandguns.com

Last edited:
quarterbored/sscoyote, You guys did a pretty good job explaining that. I find it easier to take a guy out and show him. I'm taking a guy to our 1000yard range on saturday that's been reading, but hasn't really put any of it into practice. I figure we'll have him up and running in just a few minutes (no pun intended), and then we'll have another long range shooter hooked.

He'll be running a 308 and I'm hoping for a little wind, superseal and I are going to let him play with my 243AI and SS's 6.5-284 after he gets some time in with his 308. We don't want to spoil him right off the bat. LOL.

Ya, he's not that far off. But I've really just started fooling with long range shooting a couple years ago. Fun to do but not overly serious about it. Not a real competative nature! I do like that shoot they put on in N.M. at the NRA center. I think it's ten stations in two miles and target's to 700yds. One shot at each, steel plates. You have to cary everything with you. Nobody has ever cleaned the course. I learned about it from a guy named Zack Smith in Colorado, I'm thinking he's in Ft Collins, really nice guy!

Originally Posted By: brdeanoquarterbored/sscoyote, You guys did a pretty good job explaining that. I find it easier to take a guy out and show him. I'm taking a guy to our 1000yard range on saturday that's been reading, but hasn't really put any of it into practice. I figure we'll have him up and running in just a few minutes (no pun intended), and then we'll have another long range shooter hooked.

It's FAR easier to show someone how a turret/drop chart works... than try to explain it. One of my business partners was showing us a couple of guns when we were over at his place a couple of weeks ago... while he was attempting to get at his HK-USC... he handed me a PSS in .300 RUM sporting a 4.5-14 Leupold wearing M1 turrets, just to get it out of the way. I went "OH, Snap!" and started asking him about it. He had never shot it over 200 yards. We went out shooting two weeks ago... and in 3 shots I had him hammering milk jugs at 450. Then we moved back to 650... I dailed in the 10.5" on the turret and threw on about 2" of wind... told him to send one... WHAMMY, blew that jug to pieces. He's stone cold hooked. Now all he talks about when we're in the truck is long range shooting...

Back