Magazine Capacity in Colorado

Jitterbug

Anyone know the maximum magazine capacity for AR's in Colorado? Near as I can tell in the regulations, the only restrictions are on shotguns.

Will I get ticketed with a 30 rounder in an AR?

Kind of a gray area if you are hunting Mountain Lion. They are considered Big Game and you are limited to 5 round mags while hunting Big Game. Although the Mountain Lion brochure does not state it.

All small game you good to go.

Originally Posted By: newracer

Unless you are using a shotgun then you are limit to a 3 shell capacity.

Originally Posted By: TimMOriginally Posted By: newracer

I wouldn't bet the farm on it and I don't have a small game booklet handy to check it out, but I thought furbearers were the one exception to the 3 shell capacity regulation?

GAME MAMMALS
a. Rifles or handguns.
b. Shotguns cannot be larger than 10 gauge.
Shotguns cannot be capable of holding more
than 3 shells in magazine and chamber combined.

FURBEARER LEGAL METHODS OF TAKE
1. The following methods of take are legal to hunt furbearers:
a. Any rifle, handgun, shotgun, handheld bow or crossbow

Originally Posted By: TimMOriginally Posted By: newracer

I could be wrong, but I thought 3 shells was a Federal regulation.

It may be a federal deal when it comes to migratory waterfowl/birds, but I'm pretty sure they aren't involved in establishing state game laws and regs.

I looked in our small game book and to me it's not real clear concerning shotgun capacity and furbearers.

For game mammals it specifically states:

b. Shotguns cannot be larger than 10 gauge.
Shotguns cannot be capable of holding more
than 3 shells in magazine and chamber combined

For furbearers it only says:

1. The following methods of take are legal to hunt furbearers:
a. Any rifle, handgun, shotgun, handheld bow or crossbow

It says nothing at all about shell capacity. I might have to go out to the DOW office Monday and see if I can get the real skinny on the rules.

I still think for predators here in CO you can pull the mag plug and fill er up.

Ok, 2 years ago in Oct. my wife had made arrangements to go to the little town where we have our summer cabin for her birthday. I planned on taking a day and calling coyotes. Looking at the regulations, I was lost, so I called the local office in Gunnison. The gal I talked to didn't have a clue, she told me I couldnt hunt coyotes as there was an elk season going on that weekend. I then called the main office in Denver. Got to a really good guy.

Anyway, in one part of the regulations, it said you could only have a 5 round magazine. I cant remember what other questions I had, but the guy said "Wow, I see why you were having trouble, these are hard to read". Anyway, for furbearers you can use any quantity magazine, for big game (mountain lion) you can only use a 5 round.

Quote:I wouldn't bet the farm on it and I don't have a small game booklet handy to check it out, but I thought furbearers were the one exception to the 3 shell capacity regulation?

DC - I went to the DOW office here in GJ and asked. You must have your shotgun plugged while coyote hunting. That is the opinion of that officer anyway.

ETA: sorry to hijack...the original posted was asking about AR's. Folks are right, no max limit on an AR when hunting coyotes.

Last edited:
It used to clearly state that the shotgun capacity restriction was for migratory birds and waterfowl. That excluded non-migratory birds like pheasants and quail. The way I read it now, rifles are a free for all, shotguns it's three.

That should deter all of the six-shot-eight-bore coyote hunters. I guess they will just have to get an AR.
grin.gif

I stood in the DOW office on Broadway 2 months ago and had a lengthy discussion about this very subject.

They told me that if hunting furbearers I could have a mag capacity higher than 3 shells. They also quallified it by telling me to talk directly with a DOW officer in the district that I would be hunting.

I also asked about the new stipulation of not using a visual lure (decoy) where there are lynx or where lynx may be found. They told me that if my intentions were to deliberately not attract a felid I could use a decoy. But, once again they qualified it by telling me to talk with an officer in the district that I am hunting.

LOL Tim.

That makes it sound like they can make up the rules as they go. I'll be going out to the DOW here tomorrow and see what kind of answer I get. Probably be about the same as what you got.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesLOL Tim.

That makes it sound like they can make up the rules as they go. I'll be going out to the DOW here tomorrow and see what kind of answer I get. Probably be about the same as what you got.

Please let me know what they tell you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: P SideOriginally Posted By: TimMOriginally Posted By: newracer

I could be wrong, but I thought 3 shells was a Federal regulation.

Federal reg. for migratory birds such as ducks and geese.

i think you are going to be like calif. soon.this year i was told by a doctor that calif.will require fingerprints for ammo sales.and we don't want any more californians in our state because the more that come the more things change for the worse

Originally Posted By: lyotehunteri think you are going to be like calif. soon.this year i was told by a doctor that calif.will require fingerprints for ammo sales.and we don't want any more californians in our state because the more that come the more things change for the worse

The finger print deal is a rumor that's been going around for a long time now. It'll never happen. Tell that doctor to stick with medical issues.

But since you're here, you know anything about the legal shell capacity of shotguns in CO. when used for furbearers?
lol.gif

I just spent about an hour looking at the COLO DOW REGS and i cant find any restrictions on mag capacity when hunting furbearers or predators. With the exception of MTN LIONS.They are a big game animal.you can use a shotgun of 20ga or larger and it must fire a single slug NO SHOT .Or any center fire rifle or hand gun as long as it has a bullet of at least 45 grn in weight and at least 400 foot pounds of energy.As far as mag capacity all it shows is no more than 6 RDS total when useing a semi auto rifle when hunting big game.

The way it's written, I'm thinking it would be a real chicken chit officer that would even ask a guy out predator hunting if he had the plug in his shotgun or how many shells he had in it at the time.

I have had dealings with a few of those types though. So who knows.

Back