5.45x39 as a varmint/predator round

Dust

Seems that the 5.45x39 is cheaper than the HMR. My father is looking at another AR, and the price of ammo and ballistics are closer to a .223 than an HMR. There doesn't seem to be anything being said about the caliber here, and I was wondering if anyone had used one for hunting. only problem I see is that it is corrosive and for the most part unreloadable.

and as far as I know it's all FMJ, which would limit it's use as a varmit round I would think. I have considered buying one for a plinker though as it's less than 1/2 what 223 is going for right now.

I have seen HP, and I think I even saw some softpoints somewhere, for this caliber, but they are harder to find. If you were to use these, I would not see a problem with this beeing a very good choice over the HMR. Don't know how the good the accuracy for these rounds are though.

I did a little project about a year ago, I had the same thought. I have a Romanian Wasr2 in 5.45x39 and a PSL in 7.62x54r. The scope rail is the same, so I mounted the 4x scope on the AK. I found some Wolf 60gr hollow points and found that a .223 AK74 mag fits and functions with 4 rounds of ammo. Accuracy is not to bad. Makes for a good calling gun in low light out to 75 yards. Rip's them up pretty bad. Wish there was a better platform. JP

PS I use the PSL out to 400 yards to dispatch vermin. They kind of fold in half w/ a 150gr SP.

Dad is looking at an AR-15 in the platform. Jpatterson, I would love to have an PSL in 54R.

Why do you say on 75 yards?

Last edited:
With the short 16" barrel and sloppy action about 75 yards is the best it will do w/ any accuracy, hunting accuracy on smaller targets. Great rifle for saturating a 4' area w/ a 30 round mag at 100 to 150 yards. The cartridge is way better then the rifle. Be real careful w/ surplus ammo, it is all corrosive. It is real cheap, or was. $108.00 per 1080 round tins. I see it now for $169.00 for the same tins. Still cheap enough. Glad I have 5. If you like the PSL, you"ll like its' buddies.
IM000306.jpg

Jpatterson, any recommendations on PSL stuff, what to look for and what to avoid.

Dad talked to Model 1 Sales about the 5.45 and they said it was dirty ammo, so he is kinda turned off.

Back