.17 Ackely Hornets Barks again

VAFoxhunter

I haven't been out calling much this year due to the record snow falls here in Virginia. I have only made 11 stands since November. That is about a forth of my normal season. I have two greys, one red and bobcat to show for my efforts. I figured since the season is quickly ending I would brave the snow and walk into the farm I killed the cat on last month. I made two stands on the farm. The first one was dry. The walk was so hard that I almost headed home. I decided to make one more stand on the way out. About 10 minutes in I switched to the old foxpro rabbit sound. I picked up eyes with the lightforce about 200 yards out. The fox came in on a hard charge right up to the call. I gave her a quick kiss and lights out from the .17 ackley hornet.

Sleep tight there little buddy! He looks so cute laying there, don't he!
P1020758.jpg

These two 17 Ackley Hornets of ours are developing a good name for themselves. Good job Matt, I am happy for you.

MAN! AIN'T THEY FUN!?

Was that my load you were trying, or your other one?

Thanks guys!

I haven't tried the 20 grain vmax load. The 25 grain Berger performed great on this one. The last one blow into two pieces.

One day the gun companies are gonna get their heads out of their butts and make this caliber a factory load.

Spin that 20 grainer up fast(3900+) and it won't come out. Unless at point blank range.

I gotta load some of those 21 gr Golds of Kindler's.

woohhhh... ok, you guys need post up a pic of these bullets on these 17 ackley hornets.. you have tweaked my interest?lol.. im a small caliber guy and the hornet has always been one of my favorites.. this sounds right up my alley.

The 17 Ackley Hornet is the most economical-efficient cartridge there. I use N-120 powder and 20 gr V-max and it will run just a bit faster than the 17 Remington Fireball 20 gr bullet out of a factory load, in my rifles.

I've chrony'd both cartridges, so that statement is not just opinion. I can press up the 17 Ackley to 4100fps, but it is pressing it and the primers are showing it. 3850-3900fps is about perfect.

thanks guys. definitely impressed with that little round. who did you guys get to do the gunsmithing. i assume you had to resleeve the barrel for the 17?

Nightwatchman
There was two of us who took on identical projects at the same time. We both already owned Browning Micro Hunter A Bolts in 22 Hornets. We didn't want them two touched so we bought two more. We had a local gunsmith pull the barrel off one and shipped it to Lilja. Told them we wanted barrels the exact same length, taper and contour, but in a 17 caliber, not chambered. They are three groove, 1 in 9 twist rate and I think they are 22 inches long, whatever Browning Micro Hunter Hornets come in. We then shipped the entire packages, barrels, actions, stock everything to York PA, to Bob Green. Who we were told was the absolute ultimate guru in 17 Ackley Hornets, btw-this was proven too. He chambered them to 17 Ackley Hornet with .193 neck and tweaked the magazines for us, so there would be no feeding issues and there isn't any, never has been, not even one. He is the absolute best 17 Ackley guy in America. In accordance with me and everybody else who knows. They shot perfectly from the beginning. We developed different loads, tried different powders and bullets, chased our tails in the wrong direction for a while. Tried 25 gr Bergers both slow and fast, was concerned about fur damage on foxes, slowed down-that was the wrong direction to go, so we sped em up, went with lighter bullets till the absolute all-round perfect bullet was finally discovered. It kills groundhogs like The Hammer of Thor and has not missed a fox this winter. Plus Matt harvested a nice bobcat with his using the 25 gr bullet. All were DRT. It is the Hornady 20 gr V-Max pushed by 12.1 grains of N-120 powder to a muzzle velocity of 3850-3900. When it hits a groundhog at 250 yards, you see em hunch up and just simply collapse, no more movement. I never thought it would stay inside a fox, but it does. We were going to slow earlier in our expereiments. The sight in is 1" high at 100 yds, that is the point of impact with both 20 and 25 grain bullets, they will be within a 1/4" of one another without changing any scope adjustments. It is very-very flat shooting. I pretty much hold on fur out to 275-300 yards. A groundhog standing up at 250-280yds is a gimme shot. The scope I mounted on it stays on it the year round, groundhogs or foxes. The Leupold VX3-3.5x10x50 Illuminated German #4 Dot, the dot covers 9/10ths of an inch at 100 yds, great for hogs in the summer, or foxes at night under artificial light. Dot is very easy to find when it is illuminated. My longest kill on groundhogs was 316 yards, my longest hit was over 400, after a few barrel rolls and flippin around he got back in the hole, oh well. If a Red Fox hangs up at 200 yds, he is dead.

This picture was taken right after we recv'd them back from Bob Green.
ABoltsx2.jpg

Thank you for that info. Those Browning do look nice. How much do those weigh?

I wouldn't mind having a CZ done in .17AH.

I may have to give Bob a call in the future.

Sonny, very interesting stuff! Just curious, what kind of dollar figure would a person be looking at for the conversion you detailed?

It totaled out close to $1100, that's the rifle purchase new, new barrel by Lilja and Bob Green's fees all in to one. Still cheaper than buying a Cooper 17AH, plus it has a clip that holds an additioanl three rounds, so it is a better calling rifle than a Cooper would be, considering the possibility of a required follow up shot.

Nobody can chamber one like Bob Green, in my opinion. He is right up the road from you in York PA.

well,i went shopping today looking for hornets to do just this.. im like superseal, id like to have a cz chambered in this. as soon as i find me a nice hornet for this project ill be off and running. i appreciate all the info pruson. it will definitely help and i will for sure be calling up mr. green.

Don't forget the dies and and the pia it is to form this little sweetheart of a cartridge. Check it out first. Forming brass can turn some folks off. It almost wrecked my mind before we finally got it mastered.

Back