22-250 reloaders approach, to 1st time 52 gr load/powder work up..

atvalaska

ok here's the dirt.. New gun 1in12 twist bull barrel 22-250 load work up .. have taken 3 diff bullets and 4 diff powders...I plan to clean the NEW gun , then fire 3 moly 40gr-v-maxs down the barrel to get her going,( they are a fast hot factory load that i have lots of) then I'im going to shoot the reloads i make into "hopefull " groups of 3... all 3 brands of bullets are loaded to 1gr BELOW max,(as I learend long ago)i have 4 brands of powder h380,varget,imr4064,imr3031, and the bullets are speer52gr bthp #1036.....sierra 52gr hpbt.........berger fb target m-grade 22408's all seated to 2.345 .... what do u think

Last edited:
You should be able to find an awesome load out of the bullet and powder combos you have there.
In my .22-250 so far I have tried, H380, Re-15, Winc. 760.
all have given good results.
This spring, I'll be using the above powders I've listed plus, IMR 4064, BL-C2.
These loads were all 55 gr. but this spring I'll be working on 52gr. as well.

Just shot my Ruger 22-250 this past weekend off my Caldwell Leadsled because I was working on load development. I was using loads having 26.8 Gr Varget pushing 55 Gr Sierra Blitzkings with manual recommended bullet settings. At 100 yds I was getting three shot groups dime size or smaller. Guess I found what she likes. BTW, I have a friend who shoots and loads Benchrest and he's suggested I try Sierra 53 Gr Match Kings over the 52 Gr HPBT I presently use sometimes. He said I should get even tighter groups when setting the bullets .0001 off the lands due to better aero dynamics. Good Luck!

do yourself a favor...change one variable at a time. Try some loads, changing ONLY the powder charge. Then try the same bullet with a different powder. Then maybe try a different bullet with those powders. The main thing is change ONE thing at a time. If you change from a 52 gr Speer to a 52 gr Berger with the same powder, and change the powder charge also, your data is skewed. Or if you up the powder charge, and change seating depth at the same time. One variable at a time will keep you from pulling all your hair out later.

also...are all your bullets mollied? If not, shooting the first couple moly 40's might mess up your next couple groups. If you aren't shooting all moly bullets, I wouldn't shoot the foulers with moly.

Last edited:
Like Bownut says only change one thing at a time. It will take more time to develop a load for but you'd be surprised how much a difference little changes can make.

Tim

Originally Posted By: venatic26.8gr??? Sounds a little too low...

OPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...You got me...talk about a case of HUA! That load I listed (26.8 Gr Varget) was for my Savage .223 and NOT my Ruger 22-250. How does 34.9 Gr of RE-15 (for the 22-250) sound to ya? Shoots real good on that load! Sorry about the error in my post.

Originally Posted By: bownutdo yourself a favor...change one variable at a time. Try some loads, changing ONLY the powder charge. Then try the same bullet with a different powder. Then maybe try a different bullet with those powders. The main thing is change ONE thing at a time. If you change from a 52 gr Speer to a 52 gr Berger with the same powder, and change the powder charge also, your data is skewed. Or if you up the powder charge, and change seating depth at the same time. One variable at a time will keep you from pulling all your hair out later.

also...are all your bullets mollied? If not, shooting the first couple moly 40's might mess up your next couple groups. If you aren't shooting all moly bullets, I wouldn't shoot the foulers with moly.

+1 Fantastic advise

If you are wanting a live varmint rifle, then 760 would be my first choice, accuracy will right at a max load. If you are wanting to punch paper, the H380. I like tiny groups.

Work up a load with the bullet just touching the lands or .005 off, then adjust seating depth. Forget moly until you have worked up a load with naked bullets, or just use all moly bullets...your head may explode if you don't.

Originally Posted By: JLJ223Friend of mine always used 38grs of 380 with a 52gr.

that was what the powder was named for 38.0 grs. 55 grain bullet.

Back