How to skin a fox or coyote?

NY Yote hunter

So I am hoping I get a nice coyote before the season is over and would like to skin it. Anyone know of any good books or have tips on skining, and than perseving the hide or getting it ready to be tanned?

Fleshing and then stretching...

You should probably get a DVD on skinning. I hope the fox is in the freezer and rolled up properly. Maybe take it to a fur buying or taxidermist and having him show you...give him a few bucks. He'll also tanning or have it tanned for you for about $25 +/-.

You'll also need a fleshing beam and fleshing knife (Necker), stretchers (wood IMO), metal push pins....the next time.

Go to F&T Fur Harvesters website to order supplies. Otter Creek Lures sells some decent wood stretchers. You can also find all the supplies needed at the next NY State Trapping Convention/Rendevous....that may be a good place to watch fur handling techniques too.

I just ordered the DVD Practical Fur Handling for Traping and Predator Hunting by Micheal Brown. I just borrowed a stretcher and fleshing knife from a friend. I just emailed one of the txidermist last night and he emailed me this morning that he charges $125 for a fox to be tanned. lol I think I am going to shop around!

Originally Posted By: NY Yote hunterI just ordered the DVD Practical Fur Handling for Traping and Predator Hunting by Micheal Brown.

I have this DVD and believe me, it doesn't get any better than that for an instructional "How to" on skinning furbearers(all of em'). Five hours long, covers them all. You can select the chapter you want and get right to it. Tommy Osborne, I think is the fur guy that is doing it. Very strongly recommended for anyone, even the seasoned guy can learn from this, but it is a must have for a beginner.

A.P. Jones, one of our fine sponsors has it at www.allpredatorcalls.com Order it and you will never regret it.

Ouch....$125. I just take mine to the taxi and he sends it to Moyle's with his other stuff for me. That way I don't have to pay shipping charges...I do take a lot to him though....deer, bear, coyotes, bobcat, etc. He did a bear and deer for me since September 2009.

You guys are getting ripped off....

http://www.moytown.com/Fur%20Tanning.html

Here's another link with some helpful photos. Coyote skinning and put up

I also agree and suggest the Practical Fur Handling with Tom Osborne (he's the guy doing the work). About the only thing it didn't really cover too well was turning the ears and splitting the lips. Other than that it's full of well lit, close up shots of most of the trapped furbearers being skinned, each in their own chapter on the DVD. Well worth the price for 5 hours of video - lots of good tips and tricks from Tom, who has obviously been around fur for quite a while.

If you have the thing skinned and in the freezer make sure it's tightly rolled up, fur side out, with no air pockets. Should keep for a while until you figure out what to do with it. For future reference, heat and moisture are your enemies when it comes to pelts - skin as soon as possible for best results. Good luck.

If you use a Whetherby .300 and a 125gr. V-Max bullet all you have to do is squeeze.
sneaky2.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Back