Washington State Coyote hunters?

Welcome to the board. There are quite a few from Washington and several from your neighborhood. Lots of us "wetsiders" would give our left you know what to live in your area. Lots of good hunting close to you. All my relatives live in and around the Tri-Cities and are either retired or work out at the area. At least I have some place to stay. Problems from a knee replacement has had me kinda gimpy and I haven't been over much this year, mostly stayed close to Ellensburg. How have you done so far?

Originally Posted By: DucksoupWelcome to the board. There are quite a few from Washington and several from your neighborhood. Lots of us "wetsiders" would give our left you know what to live in your area. Lots of good hunting close to you. All my relatives live in and around the Tri-Cities and are either retired or work out at the area. At least I have some place to stay. Problems from a knee replacement has had me kinda gimpy and I haven't been over much this year, mostly stayed close to Ellensburg. How have you done so far?

LOL ya u guys with webed feet im sure would love to live on this side.
I know there are quite a few coyotes around here but man its been tough. I have shot 4 in the last 3 months or soo and been out almost every weekend. The last few weeks atleast 2 times a week and this last week I was out 3 days out of the week. No luck all week, my dad and I called in 4 yesterday and missed 2 shots and come home empty handed. We even went to areas that we know is alot of dogs and vertually no other calling pressure and for some reason just not having the luck on getting the dogs to come in. U should let me know when ur in this area and we could get after em. Have u had much luck? Do u primarily hunt dogs around E-Burg?

They are pairing up for mating right now. Try territorial calls.

Ya know, there are dozens upon dozens of folks predator hunting these days, especially in Washington. Use to be you could be out all day, and might see another local driving around, [beeep] always knew who he was, and what rig he drove. Even the yotes knew what rigs we drove, so we had to mix it up a bit and drive a "new" rig.

Nowadays, you see quite a few rigs, with folks calling right from their rigs, even just trying to locate with a few howls out the window.
Don't matter, they deserve to hunt as much as me, I just hope they get the permission they are supposed to do.

Gonna try my calling closer to home for a bit. Its all close in work, with lots of trees and forest.

NE Corner for me boys.....hope your having luck!

Originally Posted By: littletoesThey are pairing up for mating right now. Try territorial calls.

Ya know, there are dozens upon dozens of folks predator hunting these days, especially in Washington. Use to be you could be out all day, and might see another local driving around, [beeep] always knew who he was, and what rig he drove. Even the yotes knew what rigs we drove, so we had to mix it up a bit and drive a "new" rig.

Nowadays, you see quite a few rigs, with folks calling right from their rigs, even just trying to locate with a few howls out the window.
Don't matter, they deserve to hunt as much as me, I just hope they get the permission they are supposed to do.

Gonna try my calling closer to home for a bit. Its all close in work, with lots of trees and forest.

NE Corner for me boys.....hope your having luck!

Thanx for the input, you are most definatley right about ALOT more coyote hunters these days. Around this area lots and lots just driving the roads and taking pop shots at dogs. Do you do most of ur hunting around the Spokane area? Im just guessing thats close to where ur from?

I would like to get together with you. PM me your info and I'll contact you.

Most of my hunting is in the southeast corner, Benton, Franklin, Grant and Walla Walla counties. Lots of open land but lots of hunters too. The road hunters have the coyotes pretty skittish by this time of year and lots of rookies educate them by using the same calls and hunting the same areas over and over again. I switch up calls and try not to hunt the same area more than two or three times a year.

Try more coyote vocalizations. I use mostly interrogation howls, female invitation howls, challenge howls, (I use higher pitches) and pup distress. I've also added a coyote fight/ki-yi call that I heard Al Morris do on one of the Hunters Specialties DVDs, works great. Also get away from the standard rabbit calls. By this time of year they've heard these a bunch and will avoid them like the plague. Use bird calls if you can, either on your hand calls or on you e-caller if you have one.

Good luck an let us know how you do.

I'm only.bout an hour away from you and it isn't much better in my area. I see tons of sign and scat but them dogs are either smart or sneaky or both. But I still get out theses every chance I get

About 40 miles north of Spokane, and yep-we got as many hunters as you guys, just not as much good country to spot 'em. Mostly private stuff around here.

I'm from western Washington, coyotes are everywhere at night. The biggest activity is around 11 then again around 3am. I'm in kitsap county. I usually hunt alone, but send me a message if you want to try out a few stands with me.

Originally Posted By: The Big SleepI'm from western Washington, coyotes are everywhere at night. The biggest activity is around 11 then again around 3am. I'm in kitsap county. I usually hunt alone, but send me a message if you want to try out a few stands with me.

That would be fun, problem is I dont get over to that side of the mountains much and with me going back to work after a month lay off im pretty broke to make a trip for a day hunt.
thumbdown.gif

It sounds to me like im not doing anything diff then everyone else on here just not having the luck in my corner. LOL

Western Washington here too. I new to yote hunting and origionally thought there were too many trees. Now I have changed my tactics, calls and how I make my stands to adapt to the trees.

So far I have called in a few and a friend of mine got one today. I wish I had more time to hunt.

Originally Posted By: rainshadow1I was surprised how well WA is represented here when I showed up. Welcome!

I am as well, but even more so, how many people think my area is soooooooooo great. I must be doing something wrong.
blush.gif
Really all I can say is it seems to be ALOT harder then what it should be by the talk of this area.

I listen to them most of the night. They sound a little different during the day, I make wounded animal sounds on the way to my stand about 50yrds away then start calling from my stand. It helps to use the geography to judge where they will come in through the trees. , and I prefer to be upwind, too many trees to worry about watching my back, id rather just watch them coming from the front. I try to force them to expose themselves to move downwind. Just my tactic, what seems to work for you guys?

I am from SW WA.. I have never hunted coyotes on the east side, we have tons of them over here and haven't had any trouble finding them here. Good Luck

While this thread is a bit old I'll still put in my 2 cents worth. I live in Kitsap County and have noticed the coyotes are much more plentiful than in the past. The real problem is they are moving into residential areas of the county. As long as they have adequate greenbelts to make their escape to they are more than happy wandering around the unincorporated areas of South Kitsap and I would imagine North Kitsap as well. I can't be shooting with all the homes around here, but the buggers are getting pretty brazen. I've actually toyed with the idea of using a .22 Cal break barrel airgun. I could probably put them down with a head shot out to 40 yards... maybe. I have no inclination of wounding an animal so it can run off and die a slow death. Too bad we don't have the ability to use suppressors like the Brits do. There the suppressor is considered a polite way to keep the noise down so as not to bother your neighbors. Here they consider it an evil tool of death primarily used to silently take out innocent citizens. There's got to be a way to tap into some of the coyotes that call South Kitsap home. We're rural enough to have predators and varmint running around, but populated enough to make hunting neigh impossible due to all the homes. There are fewer and fewer farms with any real acreage that you could safely hunt on these days.

Tons of oregon hunters on here too. Don't let those west side trees intimidate you. Call in any opening even an old logging road or logging landing. Bring the shotgun and a sidearm too. Never know whats coming in the tree's when you ring the dinner bell.

I have luck hunting close to towns. Really close. I park on the NF boundary and start counting my steps. When I walk 200 steps away from city limits. I start looking for a place to sit down. I use a .22mag or reduced loads in .223 or .222. You wouldn't believe the size and number of trash coyote. They just go lay off in the brush during the day and they are back to the garbage when the sun goes down.

Back