Fur down in Ohio

222shooter

Friday night I set up along a stream facing a field, woods on both sides. There is about 25 feet strip of brush along the stream. I set the whirling woodpecker on a thistle bush out in front of me in the field. About 5 minutes after the decoy died this 39 lb male sneaks up on my left in the brush about 30 feet from me. My rifle is pointed forward and every time he looks away I move it toward him. And every time he jerks his head back at me. Finally he turns long enough that I can aim and shoot. He was 30 feet away. He flopped around abit and almost fell in the creek. Here is how I found him. Dates on pics are screwed up.
2-12-2010.jpg

Today I went out to a new farm that I heard them howling at one evening. When I asked the lady that lives there if I could hunt coyote, she said,"please do. I'm tired of them killing my dogs" So I set up along a fence row. Large baren field on left, rock quarrey on right, brush, CRP, woods and creek to the front. Here is my view

2-14-2010-2.jpg

Called for about 15 minutes when this guy shows up down wind. I shoot him at 120 yards. Here is his view. He weighed 36 lbs. I was in the fence row in the middle of the pic

2-14-2010-1.jpg

Both were taken with my Tikka 243. 55 gr ballistic tips. First coyote had a small(quarter size) exit wound. Second had no exit wound. Used a Sceery AP7
Here is more pics:
2-14-2010.jpg

2-14-2010teeth.jpg

2-12-14-2010.jpg

Last edited:
looks like you guys still have alot more snow up north of us... we only had about 4-5 inches on this last storm... but it made for good hunting. nice yotes for sure.

Good job rich, good to see a local guy do some good,,,i dont get free to work on them myself serious till the middle of the month.........x

Back