How many states allow night hunting? Tennessee folks, looky here!

Sparrowhawk

Tennessee currently only allows raccoon hunting with dogs at night and no electronic calls.

Does anyone have a list of all the states that allow calling, white/red lights and/or NVDs to hunt predators including feral hogs at night.

Having conversations with a Tennessee Wildlife Resources commissioner who seems amenable to change if he gets cogent arguments.

I don't have a list but I know Texas allows hunting at night with an artificial light for "non-game" animals. ( ie bobcat, fox, coyote) We also aren't restricted on gun calibers at night. I know Oklahoma allows night hunting with shotguns only, but you must aquire written permission from a game warden to do so and it's only good for 24hrs.

tell him we're willin to pay a hundred dollars a year for a predator hunting license which includes night hunting. they can put a restriction on firearms if they want but to be ethical they should allow small centerfire rifles. a chance for the TWRA to make more money how much more cogent argument do they need. And to prevent poaching of deer in the state first offense let them take the guity party's guns vehicles homes whatever they want. After one or two people are convicted and confiscation begins that'll be the end of the poaching crap. But that goes back to hangin people on the courthouse square for all the world to see. it'll never happen why becuase the lawless have too many rights.

oregon allows bobcat, possum and raccoon to be hunted at night with lights provided the light is not cast from or attached to a motor vehicle or boat.

BTT and keep 'em coming folks! Would like to hear from more night-hunting states.

CAWilson, you're right and thank you. It's all about revenue generation and getting more people to buy tags, ain't it? Think I'll start the bidding lower than a C-note, though!

In addition to what Allstar said; Arkansas, coon and bobcat, both must be treed by dog first. Had 1 howling 200 yards from house last night.

the higher cost of the license will make some hunters that aren't to serious about it not purchase one. this would make for far less competion of night hunting in areas which in turn means not as many educated predators. if it's just twenty bucks or so every tom dick and harry will purchase one and run around burning up the night and giving the seriuos hunters a bad name. and with the higher cost presented to them the TWRA may take your suggestion a lttle more serious. I would definitely drop a C to more than double my kills as i feel night hunting would do.

were allowed to hunt at night here in pa with a light and rifle, rimfire or centerfire. for coyotes, fox, raccoon.
but were not allowed to semi-auto (i wish) only semi-auto shotguns.

Nevada allows night hunting of varmints. Spotlighting is allowed in most counties but some have prohibited it.

Last edited:
Back