Calling sequence ????

saw557

First off I know exactly nothing about calling. I've gone through about 20 pages of info on the forums and haven't stumbled on the info I am looking for so here goes. I have an assortment of open reed calls and I looking for advice on what kinda of calling sequence to start with. How long do you call before you take a break and how long before you start calling again. I went out this morning and made a few stands but didn't see anything but I didn't really expect to either. I was calling for a couple of minutes and waiting a couple minutes before I started again I used this sequence for about 20 minutes and moved to a new location and started over. I am sure there are critters in the area there were tracks over the top of my snowmobile tracks from the previous day and I've seen critters in the area before. I was calling along the edge of a power line and a field and on the edge of a small pond if that helps. Just looking for a little help.
Thanks

Last edited:
You're not alone. I'm running into the same situation here in Bama. The coyote here seem to spook really easy, I start with low volume for the first couple sets and if nothing is happening I crank the volume up a little. If nothing happens on distress calls, try a howl, I have had some answer on a challenge howl but no takers yet. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong also.

1) there may not be a "sequence". You can't really say "call this for 3 minutes, then this for 5 minutes, then...." as a successful sequence one day may not be the other day. Also, keep in mind that if you switch calls and it's THAT call that gets the coyote moving, and then you switch to another call after 5 minutes, he may very well lose interest. I've had opportunity to sit on a butte and watch coyote reactions and I've seen this happen. So, in other words, if "cottontail" is what gets the yote moving and he's 10 minutes away, and you switch to "woodpecker" after 5 minutes, and he doesn't like woodpeckers, you might not get that coyote. Sometimes it's better to stick with just one call. Sometimes you mix them equally- a woodpecker, then cottontail, then woodpecker, then cottontail, etc. You will eventually find something that works for you you in your area, so stick with it.

2) the tracks might be a coyote moving thru at night and during the day he might 1-2 miles away. I have situations like that here, esp out in the prairie.

3) a lot of callers like to call pretty well continuously. Don't wait "a couple of minutes" between calls- maybe 15-20 seconds. Call in short bursts with short rests. You're a rabbit with a small lung capacity, don't forget.

4) Check out people's signatures for their call:kill ratio. Mine's something like 5:1, but I've gone 10 dry stands before getting a double at one and a single at the next. It's not an even distribution.

Hope that helps somewhat...

+1 on NM HighPlains advice. I would stick with one prey animal call & maybe a howler. I use an ecaller and hand calls, and like to start out with distress calls intermittently for the first 15-30 minutes, since everything responds to distress calls. If you begin your calling sequence by howling, you are likely limiting yourself to coyotes only on that stand, although there are exceptions. As far as coyotes, this is the time of the year when howling works extremely well.

Last edited:
I like to start with "Rabbit Distress." The after five minutes I switch to "Rabbit Distress." After 5 minutes more I go to "Rabbit Distress." If that doesn't work I move along to the next stand.

Why do people want to make this so complicated?

If I call from a stand for 25-30 min and nothing happens, how far should I be moving to my next stand? I'm hunting lots of prairie, and harvested corn fields.

Another idea is to maybe pick up a few videos. As well as being entertaining they are educational. What works for coyotes one place works well most other places.

A real Rabbit don't have a sequence so neither do I.
I start calling and stop when I decide, wait as long as I decide then start calling again when I decide.
t/c223encore.

Originally Posted By: freddieIf I call from a stand for 25-30 min and nothing happens, how far should I be moving to my next stand? I'm hunting lots of prairie, and harvested corn fields.

Out west, you hear guys say 1 mile between stands. That's a little too much here in the east, IMHO. I shoot for 1/2 mile, but sometimes as little as 1/4 mile can make a difference, as it did last night. A bobcat or fox isn't usually going to cover as much ground as a coyote, and I don't think eastern coyotes are as likely to come from a mile away as their western cousins. Also, I've bumped up my time on the stand to average 45 minutes, longer if there's a lot of sign.

Thanks for the ideas....keep them coming. I kinda settled in with my "rubber rabbit" call. I'll just keep plugging away and see what happens. I am in Northern Minn. and with the snow on the ground it makes it a little tough to move around alot so I've only been going about 1/4-1/2 mile between stands Thanks

Originally Posted By: t/c223encoreA real Rabbit don't have a sequence so neither do I.
I start calling and stop when I decide, wait as long as I decide then start calling again when I decide.
t/c223encore.

How many coyotes have you actually "called" in? Don't count the one in the picture that you shot behind the "woodshed" either. Just Curious....

I usually start off with locator howls, 2 or 3, sit for a min. might do another seq of those. Then throw a fem invite, if this stuff isn't working I go to challenges. Might do a young dog, then wait, might do a young vs. old sequence, may also throw in some pup distress as well. If I get responses to the locators, I may go to a challenge, especially if I hear a dominant dog, or I may throw the fem. invite.

I'll do all this before I hit a rabbit in distress call.

How great am I... I've called 0 in, but I am working on it, I think I may be calling too much, I don't wait long before sequences.

I love to call though, I love my howlers, anyone can use a rabbit call, I want to figure out what really gets them going with a howler. So, that is my personal goal at the moment.

try Varmint Al's website, then look at the coyote calling page. towards the bottom, he has a couple calling sequences for e-callers, and lists his sequence for hand calling. hope this helps and good luck!!

Thanks I've looked at Varmint Al's site I saw the e-caller sequence but I guess I missed the hand caller part. Keep the ideas coming I appreicate the help I don't know anybody that hunts varmints around here so I am kinda on mine own.

Originally Posted By: Juice1050Originally Posted By: t/c223encoreA real Rabbit don't have a sequence so neither do I.
t/c223encore.

How many coyotes have you actually "called" in? Don't count the one in the picture that you shot behind the "woodshed" either. Just Curious....

Since you seem to only quote me to be insulting let me give it back.

Think 1st grade, 5-1= (solve the Problem) Dumb A$$ ,,!,,

t/c223encore.

EncorePost.jpg

I think the answer is 4 but i don't have my slide rule handy.

Originally Posted By: t/c223encoreA real Rabbit don't have a sequence so neither do I.
t/c223encore.
thats exactly how i do it. if you get into a rythem, they can learn it pretty quick. plus i doubt a rabbit being eaten is going to scream in a specific order

Originally Posted By: Juice1050
EncorePost.jpg

Good, but maybe we fix something. It is advice, not advise, you advise someone, and you give advice.

x= number of times you should not have given advice

That seems a little better, but believe me, I am not no English teeecher, so I could be wrong...

Originally Posted By: Juice1050
EncorePost.jpg

I hope 223encore has a sense of humor, I don't care who you are that's some funny stuff!... Gotta love a Texan's humor.

Now as for the content of mr. encores initial post, I have to agree, and I called in a hundred n something or so this year....not changing sounds. But I do live in the west where coyotes grow under every sagebrush.

I agree with our English teaching friend calling4life. (By the way all stated corrections were correct) We are a group of men and women connected by a common interest and usually want to be helpful to one another. Until the end, I was enjoying and learning from what had been said. Although very funny, I'd like to keep this post moving in a positive direction

Back