shooting 55 grain sp bullets

Jimmc

Does any one have any luck shooting the 55 grain soft point bullet in the 223 caliber AR? I have tried these on several occasions and have found them to be a poor choice. These are not very accurate in the Savage 22-250 that I have and they are not very accurate in my Rock River varminter. I realize the twist of the AR is 1/8. The twist on my Savage is 1/12. Neither shoots the 55 grain soft point very well. Any one else have different results?

Mine shoots the Hornady 55 gr sp at the same poi at 100 yards as the 55 gr Vmax. I'm shooting a 1/9 R-15 with a 22" barrel. Took a nice buck with a neck shot with these right before deer season went out this year. I know your not suppose to kill deer with a .223, but its what I had at the time and I am very confident with this rifle. Was lucky enough (or good enough) to make a clean kill, lights out. I buy the bulk Hornady pack from Academy at $29 per 40.

The 55gr Hornady SP w/cann shoots 5/8" @ 100yds out of my R15, 18" bbl.
It is my go to coyote load.
Its does the same with Midway dogtowns & Midsouth nightmares in 55gr SP/HP. I use W748.

I have shot the Hornady 55gr SP in numerous Ar's and bolt guns and they shoot great. The Remington 55gr factory load has shot very good as well.

55gr Hornady SP #2265 easily shoot inside 1" thru all 3 of my AR's, two 16" M4's & one 20" A2,..all 1-9 twist I believe and shoot inside 1/2" all day long from my 22-250 bolt gun.(that's the rifle in my profile pic with a 'yote taken at 428 yards with that very bullet). Are you shooting factory loaded ammo or loading yourself?

Last edited:
In my ARs I use 55 gr Ultramax shoots good and good price on the ammo.Under 1" at 100 is pretty easy but dont use them to put holes in paper either could be better just havent really tried it.

Maybe this Rock river varminter will come around. I have less that 60 rounds through it. I am shooting the 55 grain sp to break in the barrel. Yet it seems to be splattering the rounds all over the place. I have checked my scope, it's tight all over. Maybe it is just the newness of the rifle, reckon?

Are you cleaning inbetween shots?....Some barrels HATE being clean. My 6mmBR shoots horrible for the first 3-4 shots after a good cleaning. From shot 5 thru 50 it'll shoot bug holes the rest of the day...it's actually harder to find something it won't shoot dirty. Just a thought.

Well, as a matter of fact, I was and was getting to the point where I was going to clean every third shot. After I got to where I was up to five, then I was going to let her eat. Do you think this is too much? I didn't mention it has a 24" stainless bbl.

I clean mine every shot for the first 5 shots then every 3-5 shots there after until I get to the 80 shot mark...then all bets are off...time to heat that thing up!
Personally I've cleaned every three shots on some of my earlier "break in's" as far out as 200 round total & have grown to believe it's a waste of time..ammo & cleaning supplies waiting that long. 60-80 shots is more than enough in my book cleaning every 3-5 shot intervals.
Reguardless of the amount you put thru it during barrel seasoning, I'll bet you a box of 2265's the groups will start showing up once ya settle in & shoot it dirty!

I love the 55 gr.

I bought a STAG 16" 1/9 flat top upper a couple months ago. I haven't had a chance to shoot it because of the weather of late. I've loaded some Hornady 55 gr. V-Max and some Midway bulk 55 gr. FMJBT's and am dying to see how they do.

My last was a Bushy 16" HB, and it shot the 55 gr Hornady V-Max and FMJs sub MOA @ 100 (3/4"). I've got my fingers crossed that the STAG will do the same or better.

Last edited:
Depends on the bullet. I tried remmy's out of 2 .223's and was lucky to eventually hit the ground with them. Switched brands and got good accuracy. I'm playing with dogtowns right now.

Originally Posted By: JimmcMaybe this Rock river varminter will come around. I have less that 60 rounds through it. I am shooting the 55 grain sp to break in the barrel. Yet it seems to be splattering the rounds all over the place. I have checked my scope, it's tight all over. Maybe it is just the newness of the rifle, reckon?

Put some more rounds through it and it might turn around for you.

Back