Remington 597 Recall - New Option - .22 Mag

wilydawg

FYI....There have been other posts regarding the "recalling" of Remington 597 Autoloaders in .17 HMR, but I thought I would start a new one with some "new news". I have waited for some time to decide what to do about my .17, and finally got sick of it collecting dust in my safe, so I decided to call Remington and get my $200 voucher for returning it. The customer service guy mentioned a new option, which is to send it in and have it rebarreled to .22 Magnum. I asked them about pursuing this option months ago, and it wasn't even a possibility then. He said that they have now changed their policy. I told him that I needed a box to send it back in, and he arranged to have one sent to me along with the proper paperwork. The downside is that he said it would take 14-16 weeks until I get it back rebarreled. IMHO still a much better option than a mere $200 voucher. Here is their customer service number:

1-800-243-9700, Prompt #3.

I received my return authorization today. I got the rifle packed up and will be sending it in for a re-barrel within next couple of days. The letter that accompanied said 6-8 weeks to get job done. Sounds like the time line has been extended.

I sent mine in last week. The lady at the UPS Store counter was pretty snotty about it. She mentioned that the driver may refuse to take it. I mentioned that, that would be a big mistake. Oh well.

Kudos to Remington for responding to their customers!

Originally Posted By: DoubleCK The lady at the UPS Store counter was pretty snotty about it. She mentioned that the driver may refuse to take it.

Our local UPS store's the same way when it comes to firearms.
They're just franchises. Not real UPS outlets so they have to play by different rules, or sometimes make up their own as they see fit.

The funny part is that the small grocery store in a nearby logging town has a UPS pick up, and they happily ship firearms...
Go figure.
confused.gif

Oh yea,,, +1 on Remington's decesion being a better option.
Wonder if the ammo manufacturers are gonna step up now and share some of the responcibility???

Originally Posted By: RePete
DoubleCK said:
The lady at the UPS Store counter was pretty snotty about it. She mentioned that the driver may refuse to take it.

The local UPS stores won't touch ammo or firearms over the counter, I have to take such transactions to the UPS terminal.

Re the original issue, personally though I don't have a 597, I think the rebarrel to .22 Mag is a great deal. The .22 Mag doesn't have as flat a trajectory as the .17HRM but it is, in my opinion, a better cartridge for game at the large end of the spectrum suitable for these rimfires. In my experience, there is also a large selection of ammo for the .22 Mag at most retail outlets. Don

Back