10/22 with Volquartsen THM barrel

CaseyU

Well it's that time of year again up here. When I'm not hunting coyotes or bass fishing, I'm At the many ranches around here thinning the squeak population. My brother, best friend, and I all have tricked 10/22s. they both have green mountain barrels. and i have a whistlepig. I love the fact that mine is lighter than theirs by a ton. but with that comes a lack of accuracy. I know most people shoot at up to sixty or so yards with 22s, and yes all our guns can shoot quarters at fifty, but when we go out, we like seeing headless squirrels at a hundred. So... since my whistlepig was a little lacking in that long distance, i ordered a Volquartsen THM barrel. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers of ammo and accuracy with this barrel. thanks. oh here is a picture of my gun now and i will post one with the new barrel in a week
august172009098.jpg

P.S. and mine is the only out of the three with some trigger work

I have the VQ THM barrel on mine and I found it to be most accurate barrel I have used, better than GM and Shaw. I generally shoot CCI HP Mini Mags into one ragged hole groups at 50 yards.

Lapua high velocity hollow points are the best hunting ammo I've shot in mine.
Here's 5 consecutive 10 shot groups at 35 yards:

10-22Lapuagroups35yards001.jpg

Last edited:
Those 10/22s are some neat little rifles. I have had a basic model since way back in the 1970s, and it shoots pretty good considering the barrel band, factory configuration etc. The trigger is terrible, however. I've been looking at the possibility of getting a 10/22 that will drill tiny little holes close together at 50 yards or more, and I'm glad for your post to see and hear about how they perform. I would actually like to know more about what an average guy can do to make not only a nice looking rifle, but one that will shoot. Appreciate any other information.

Is the barrel easy to install yourself, or do you need to have a gunsmith do it? What about the trigger work you mentioned, what did you do to it, and is it something a novice like me can do with some basic instructions? I have noticed drop-in triggers like the Volquartsen, and just wonder if they are worth the money or if a nice trigger can be had cheaper.

Thanks.

David

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Those 10/22s are some neat little rifles. I have had a basic model since way back in the 1970s, and it shoots pretty good considering the barrel band, factory configuration etc. The trigger is terrible, however. I've been looking at the possibility of getting a 10/22 that will drill tiny little holes close together at 50 yards or more, and I'm glad for your post to see and hear about how they perform. I would actually like to know more about what an average guy can do to make not only a nice looking rifle, but one that will shoot. Appreciate any other information.

Is the barrel easy to install yourself, or do you need to have a gunsmith do it? What about the trigger work you mentioned, what did you do to it, and is it something a novice like me can do with some basic instructions? I have noticed drop-in triggers like the Volquartsen, and just wonder if they are worth the money or if a nice trigger can be had cheaper.

Thanks.

David

Check out rimfirecentral.com and the Ruger 10/22 Forum, you'll be goggle eyed by all the gee gaws the 10/22 has for it!

6mm06

I would suggest get a trigger job done first. If it does not shoot to your satisfaction THEN replace the barel. I have a green mountain 16 inch blued fluted barrel on mine with a hogue stock. On a good day (not every day is good) it shoots 1/2 inch 10 shot groups at 50 yards. I have had good luck with CCI mini mags and believe it or not Remington Golden Bullets.

Ten shot, 1/2" groups aren't bad at all.

My current 10/22 is one I have had since way back in the 70's, and it shoots pretty good. But that darn trigger needs two fingers to pull it.

I admit that those custom 10/22s just look plum sweet and I'd like to have one some day.

David,

I built mine up piece by piece over a few years and I have a pretty fair idea of how to make them shoot accurately for the least outlay (because I learned from a couple of mistakes), and know who to recommend for the small amount of work you can't do yourself.

I'd be glad to help you out, if you're interested.

I can give you a couple of links and names that you can't go wrong with.
thumbup1.gif

Thanks Mark,

I appreciate your kind offer of help. If and when I get ready, I'll contact you. For now it remains in my mind a nice thing to do, but you know how that is. Seems there's always something I want to build or buy with a finite amount of funds.

Back