Hey the winds went down! 5 dogs paid the price!

getemclose

Alright guys, this weekend was good to me, with Sunday being no exception.. Marty and I made it out for a full day of coyote calling action!. The forcaster was calling for low winds (cross your fingers) and cold temps.. sounds about perfect, doesn't it?.

I met Marty at his place at 700 am and we headed out to an area close to town were a couple hundred head of deer are wintering along with THREE cattle ranches, talk about a great area to spot some coyotes in the AM..

We stopped the truck and spotted three coyotes working through the deer. we established a plan for a little spot and stalk and we headed into different directions.. Marty was able to slip in close on an OLD! male and he put the smack down on it.. This coyote had NO full teeth, only a few nubs that were brown. If only this coyote could talk, Imagine all of the times he has escaped death.. traps, snares, bird hunters, deer hunters, predator hunters, ADC trappers.. wow..
( picture coming)

we went and talked to the farmer and he was glad to hear we killed one. He then informed us he had hit a coyote the morning earlier crossing the road in his Buick. We headed down the road and picked up a gorgeous pale coyote out of the ditch.. talk about a bonus dog.!

We decided to put some rubber to the pavement and hunt a new area for us. after some phone book searching and phone calls we had access to some great country! our next stand we were overlooking a heavily brushed area with rolling hills.. pretty much perfect..

I started with my secret sound then went to a non-rabbits distress.. I immediately spot one charging us.. he gets to 400 yards, stops, and runs off! what the...?? Next we spot another dog coming way out, and then another coyote coming to my left! I let him come through the knee deep snow and at 150 he tops a hill and freezes.. sorry buddy but my trigger finger is not patient.. bang, flop.

Now it took me 30 minutes to get this coyote, the snow was just so deep. Here is a picture of my dog, and Martys dog from the morning.

lol1-1.jpg
(notice my trail in the background!)

Ok sweet, two dogs down and the winds are next to nothing, talk about rare. We head about 1 mile to our east and decide on another pasture with deer wintering in it.. Cant stress food sources enough!

Now guys, dont tell marty and I we wont work for a coyote cause this one was just plain ridiculous..

We get settled into.. well... the snow, with a bush behind us.. I start with some secret sound, then back to the non rabbit distress.. The wind isnt perfect and Marty and I are ready for a quick shot, A coyote suddenly appears coming down the drifted 2 track, He gets skittish and marty drops the 17 REM. Hammer, but the dog runs like the dickens! let the fun begin...

I decide to leave my gear behind and we head out on the trail, which leads to a tunnel leading into a thickets... yep you guessed it I crawl in head first to look for the dog, all the sudden he busts out the other side and into the next thicket, Marty and I were running like chickens with our heads cut off for the next 200 yards in knee deep snow.. FINALLY after 15 minutes of running and falling, getting our butts whooped we get a bullet in the coyote. we arrive back at the truck 2 hours after we left it..

lol2-1.jpg

We get our gear packed and head to another cattle ranch, its getting late in the day and the dogs should be making there move to the cows..

After some glassing we spot a coyote heading cross country, we spring into action and get ahead of the dog. it didnt take much work after that, he died at 70 yards.

lol5-1.jpg
the drag..

lol6-1.jpg
the dog!

We decide to call it day and get a pic of our 4 dogs.. The picture doesnt do these dogs justice, they were some true beauties.

lol8-1.jpg

Well not so fast! a mile up the road we pick up a "bonus" coyote right at dark! he was heading to some cattle and was in the wrong place at the wrong time!.. that makes five.. it was dark when I got back to the truck.

lol10.jpg

O and dont forget our coyote that the farmer hit with his buick,! that would make six. But I dont count that..
lol.gif
lol.gif

Hope you enjoyed...

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweeet pics, story, hunt .. Congrats !
thumbup.gif

" O and dont forget our coyote that the farmer hit with his buick,! that would make six. But I dont count that.. " LoL !

Last edited:
Way to go!

I think you need to invest in some snow shoes! I finally broke down and got some this year, and you would be amazed on how much easier they make your life!

That's awesome Mitch. You truly are turning into one heck of a coyote caller!

The winds finally died down here. Dead still right now...the day AFTER my last hunter went home. He had to put up with 20+ mph winds. Arghhh!

Keep after 'em.

Tony

Good going Mitch,it looks like your shooting a different gun from your usual.
What ya got going on there?
Great looking coyotes bro.
Thats hard work in snow that deep,i bet you slept like a log that nite.
Take care man,good shootin!

you guys have had a great season. thanks for sharing it all with us. lots of us look forward to your next post. i already figured out that you and Marty have really done your homework. talk about consistency! i've seen the pictures. you guys work for those yotes. no calling from the warm truck! great job guys. we envy your success, but it's a good envy! keep posting!

Thanks guys!

ursus, that was a typo, i meant non-rabbit distress! sorry..

Ontario, I was beat, fell asleep on the couch at 8 o clock..

As far as the gun its a rem. 22-250 BDL. I am really likeing it. I still shot my 223, but the 22-250 is sure nice for those 300+ yard shots.

Again, thanks alot guys.

So I take that to mean you aren't using rabbit distress sounds of any kind but are being intentionally evasive about what distress you are actually using. Correct?

Originally Posted By: Ursus21So I take that to mean you aren't using rabbit distress sounds of any kind but are being intentionally evasive about what distress you are actually using. Correct?

I am always waiting for him to slip up and tell us what sound he is using but he is very tight lipped about the sounds. Understandable though. You don't want everyone else out there using the same sounds you do.

Originally Posted By: Ursus21So I take that to mean you aren't using rabbit distress sounds of any kind but are being intentionally evasive about what distress you are actually using. Correct?

No... Just merely stating that im not using rabbit distress. I used a different species. IE bird, fox, deer..

try it, you might do well
smile.gif

Back