.223 factory blackhill ammo

who me

Does anybody know what powder they use in their blue box 60gr v max loads. They shoot really well out of my bolt gun with a 1 in 9 twist. I know I should have pulled one apart when I had a box. I would like to make a handload that shoots as well. Thanks

I don't think you could identify the powder by looking at it. most factory ammo and commercial reloaders use a "proprietary" powder-one that is not available to reloaders.

As venatic said, plenty of good info on 6mmbr and the 223 is easy to find a good accurate load for.

Good Luck and have fun.

Thanks guys, I forgot that they use house blend powder. I have been told that before. I'm real close with the handloads I tried. Its hard to accept how well blackhills shoot in my gun. I'll get there

my savage mod 10 predator in 223 loves the federal blue box 50grJHP stuff. it will put 5 shots in under an inch at 100 yds each and every time. I had bought 800 rds of this when I had my mini 14 so for hunting I don't even attempt to reload.
I just reload cheap stuff for "trigger time".

Try 24.6 benchmark under 60 vmax. in three of my 223 this combo shoots better than the blackhills. One of my guns likes 25 BM under 60 vmax.

Each weapon has it's favorites. My Savage Model 12 VLP .223 loves Varget and H335 powder when pushing 52, 53 and 55 gr Sierra bullets. So far, the 55 gr Blitzking bullets have produced the most accurate groups when using standard manual recommended loads.

Back