How do you store your AR

Mapes

My brother wanted me to ask, do you guys leave the action or bolt back or forward when you store it?He was thinking he would just leave it open, but didnt know if it would wear something out quicker if he did. Hope you all know what Im talking about. Thanks

Bolt closed, round in chamber, cocked, safety off........
crazy.gif

Bolt closed, hammer down, uncocked, loaded mag.

If you are a bit insecure on chambering a round quick enough... just make up a dummy round and practice.

If you have a backkup, have your alarm clock shock you awake at 2 or 3 a.m. and do a couple nights of practice:)

Just a thought.

I have the 357 by the bed hope to god i never have to use it but it will get me to the safe to grab the 870 with 3in 00buck. I have practice opening my safe and can do it in the dark. I would not use the AR unless its day light if something happens. I feel more comfertable with the 12ga in a life of death close quarters type of deal. now if some one is shooting at the house from the road which is 50yrds then the AR will do its handy work. I keep all my guns loaded. i use the AR a lot for un wanted critters that happen to stroll onto the place.

Originally Posted By: ozzyRight next to my shotgun. Empty guns are useless.
smile.gif

+1 Every gun in my safe is loaded..I can't throw a bullet fast enough to hurt anyone....

Like a wise man once said..."you never need a gun until you REALLY need one."

Most of my weapons....er guns are at level 3 (semi-autoloaders/1911's and AR's) some are at level 2 (double actions/shotguns) and some of course are at level 1 (revolvers). I'm not totally comfortable with the locked and cocked 1911 even with the safeties, I'll rack it when I'm ready to shoot. There are a few that aren't loaded and they are in back of the safe (muzzle loaders and deer rifles). Not all of them live in the safe. Some live in the house amongst us.

But back to the original question. AR's are stored with bolt forward and dust cover (door) closed on either a live round with safety engaged or unloaded with the hammer down.

Don't store them for to long though!

Store my AR in gun-safe bolt closed hammer down.

I have a semi auto pistol very, very Handy all the time. 24/7/365.
None of the rifles in the safe are loaded.

DAB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve- N.MOriginally Posted By: jlindholm70Bolt closed hammer down/uncocked.

+1

This is what I do as well....

Back