Alyssa is at it again...she called in a Valentine's day fox!!!

Switch

I had every intention of settling in and relaxing on this Valentine's Day Sunday. The flowers and chocolates were handed out, and my wife and two little girls were in bliss with daddy's selections of goodies. All that kind of changed when Alyssa asked me if we could maybe run out and make a few stands. She is becomnig quite the hunter.

In mid December Alyssa and I had gone out to a spot that held lots of foxes and bobcats. She had done her job on the call and brought in three gray foxes to within range. And daddy, well, he couldn't hit the ground falling. After that day, we had talked about letting that spot sit for awhile, and I could tell she wanted to get back out there. Me, on the other hand, would've been happy to leave the two easy misses I had in December out there for the ravens.

With some gentle begging on Alyssa's part, my lovely and understanding wife gave us her blessing and we were out the door. As appears to be our pattern, we got a late start again. For this spot, that's o.k. We usually set up on a small mound with the sun at our backs. The early morning sun would send our shadows way out, so waiting an hour or two to call here, was the way to go.

We grabbed minimal gear and made the short hike into the stand. I set Alyssa up with here special ear muffs and then I got settled. After I was ready, I glanced to her and nodded. She slowly grabbed her pink, closed reed call and filled the canyon with the sounds of blood curdling, choking death...it sounded good! She'd call for 30-seconds and then rest. I assisted with the open reed Verminator, and we went back and forth like that for about five minutes.

The gray fox came into about 35-feet completely undetected. This area is thick and we watch shooting lanes and distance hills for critters. I spotted the fox first as he slinked in and then moved behind a thick bush 35-feet below me. Only 8-inches of his tail stuck out and he was stone still. I could tell if he kept on going the way he was going, he'd likely catch our wind and be gone. I slowly stood up and watched as Alyssa spotted the tail. As I stood, I stepped on something that made a bit of a noise...NOT AGAIN, I said to myself. At this the fox started to slither through the brush. He looked like he was headed out. The bush was way too thick to shot through, so I waited. Then I caught movement through a window in the thick cover. I spotted an ear and part of his head just looking at us. The boom came before I knew it and the 870 kicked.

As is often the case, all of Alyssa's stone-still, on-stand composure goes right out the door after the shot. "DID YOU GET HIM?" She barked, filling the canyon with an echo. I shrugged and we carefully slid down the hill to see. There was no greater sight than that of the cinnamon-colored fur of that fox laying deep in the brush.

After blowing the shots in December, we yelled and hugged at our most recent calling success. I finally was able to connect on an animal that 9-year old Alyssa called in. She of course wanted to carry the fox back, and I let her.

To avoid having all my clothes dumped out on the front lawn, we kept the day short at just two stands and headed home. She of course wants the head and the pelt for a hat.

Another day in the books for me and Alyssa.

Here she is carrying the animal back. Sorry for the blurry picture...taken with the phone. The pink call around her neck is the one she loves to use.
alyfox1.jpg

Here she is posing.
Alyssafox1.jpg

Me and Alyssa at the end of another successful hunt!
Alyssafox2.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is AWESOME! I have killed a handful of fox, but never hand called especially by a 9 year old! That must have been such a gradifying experience!

awesome great job dad!!!
you can't blame that girl on the shwains man she looks a lot like her daddy. lol
i wish my kids were still young
more fun and bigger tax deduction lol
once your daughter hits 20 they don't like butterfly kisses and morning hugs any more.

Great Job Tim glad you are having so much fun with your daughter. Sure looks warm there. Green Grass? I'm beginning to forget what that looked like.

Tim if you will send me a PM with your mailing address I will make Alyssa up one of my lanyards. That call looks to be way to important to take a chance on losing it!!!

Guy

Thanks guy...yet another unforgettable hunt.

Yoteslayer, the call is a Braz open read call with a raspy jackrabbit voice. It was handmade specifically for Alyssa out of pink laminate. It is one of her favorite calls and is kid sized. I have called in lots
of animals with Braz calls. They're available on-line. Check them out.

Yotezapper, yeah, us Californians really enjoyed the 15-days of winter out here. It's now settled into the low 80's. To be honest I was just settling into the cooler weather.

Tony, I've been told both my girls resemble me...poor kids. Although after the fox hunt we were at the mall and a Hollywood talent scout approached me about having the girls tryout for national commercials. She wanted us to come to her studio for a screening...we decided to passed.

congrats dad! great that you could close the deal. great job of calling by Alyssa! i think it's great that you take her out, and that she wants to go! you two got a good system, keep up the good work.

Great photos, great story. This should definitely be up for the HOM this month. Seriously how does it get better than a Father/Daughter Valentine's Day hunt and tag-team calling in a grey fox?!

That is the coolest way to go my three year old boy is chomping at the bit to go but it has been a little cold out here.

Back