This makes 15 so far (sorta long)

purdygood

I got up and headed out this morning.My first stand I was hiding behind some big rocks looking to the south.I started out with a lonesome howl then followed it with some coyote pup whines,then waited and went with some rabbit blues.The blues didn't produce any takers on this stand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif .

I moved to another stand about 1/2 mile south overlooking a big open flat covered in dead mesqites and some small cedars.To the east was a brushy wash out about 500 yards.I made my call from an elevated position looking to the south.I put the JS canine pup tape in the e-caller,playing it intermitantly for about 2-3 minutes and then off for about 5.While the third series was playing I noticed a coyote come up out of the brushy wash to the southeast.I turned the player off and picked her up in the scope as she came looking for the easy meal of puppies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif She stopped out about 200 yards so I gave her another tease of the pups at a lower volume.That done the trick ,here she came heading straight to me.I kept her in the scope as she meandered in.She got behind a yucca and a cedar straight out at about 60 yards and stopped to survey they rocks for the morning snack.I lip squeeked and this sealed the deal,she stepped out from behind the shrubbery and stopped again.Only to have a lead pill meet her in the chest Bang! Flop! I hit the ki-yi's hoping to get maybe another to follow suit,but nothing showed.I gathered her up and took here to the two track about 1/4 mile to the west.
fa7e9929.jpg

I made it to the Bronco and went to pick her up and head to another stand.All morning i have been seeing fresh scat(cedar berries)
fa7e9964.jpg
NOTE:turkey poop to the left of the coyote scat.

I went to a point jutting out to the south and walked down to a hide on some rocks surrounded by some shinnoak.I stretched out the speaker wires and put the speaker down below me between some rocks.I decided to stay with the trusty pup whines.Well it worked,after about 5 minutes on the stand across the wash I seen a coyote setting there looking over the wash.I played the pups again and here he came.I picked him up in the scope and watched him make his way to the pups.At about 70 yards out from the speaker he changed directions and started downwind.I barked at him twice as he was charging hard and stopped him,only to have a shinnoak bush right in front of my muzzle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I stood up to clear the bush and shot missing high.He ran about 10 yards and stopped puzzled as he looked around for that strange noise,I shot again and missed again.AHHH!He took off again to my right and stopped broadside at about 40 yards(perfect shot)Well I took another shot and...........MISSED! again.This time he didn't stick around for another shot.

The rest of the day was uneventful as for as calling goes.But on the way home I had a flat and had to change it(I knew I shouldn't have fixed the leak myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

Ray funny you metion poop. :rolleyes:

When I was deer hunting last night I had a little time to adjust to my surroundings and noticed two piles of coon poop one that was ( i guess you could say) created yesterday and a newer pile right on top of it under my stand. I asked the guide if they had any coyotes and he said he didnt. He said they did have fox though and that answered the size of it. I thought it was pretty odd that a little grey would wanna play with a coon like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Great story..

22-250VT,
It is an air chair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif This is the only vehicle that I have right now and the wife wouldn't let me modify her car to hunt out of so I modified my BroncoII to fit the need of night calling.here is a link to an earlier post showing the mods I made and a short explanation of it. chair modifacation and pics And yes I cut a hole in the roof!

Back