30-06 for coyotes

Fitzy

Hi, going on a night time coyote hunt, competition. Id like to find a good ammo to run through it that won't blow it up, One person said 180 gr. fmj's the other said small, like 110 or 125 gr V-max, I can't reload, if anyone has an ammo that they use, can to send me the name and model. I don't want to spend $50 a box or anything? looking for a $25 area for a box of 20. but if you know any thing, I'd be really interested in your info. Thanks a lot.

id stay away from fmj any bullet would work ive used my standard 180 sp on coyotes that worked but blew a big hole in its side. you might want to try the reduced recoil ammo

I think Remmington makes a 55 grain accelerator round. It might be a bit pricey. I have never shot the stuff myself but I think it is kind of the predator round for the 30-06. Good Luck on the competition.

I just saw the other thread you started about the Doublestar AR-15. Nothing against the 30-06 but I would give you a thumbs up on the AR instead.

No, I'm just new with the 30-06, I've done night hunts before. I don't have acces to my other guns, for the first day I'm out in the open and nead long rage ability, the next I can bring my shotgun for the thicker woods.

I've shot plenty with mine. No load is really fur friendly, LOL

use what ever it shoots accurately & whack them.

how big was the hole? I get paid by the weight, hope I don't drop to many pounds by blowing large holes in it. lol

I deer hunt with and carry my ought6 as a truck gun. I killed 7 coyotes with mine last year, using Hornady 150 grain BTSP loads. 6 out of 7 had a small exit hole, the other hit the spine, softball sized hole. I would stick with a deer hunting bullet and you'll be fine. If you go with deer hunting ammo, I'd stay away from the ballistic tipped bullets. From my experience with them on deer, you'll get a much larger exit hole with them.

You can use Nosler btips as long as they are further than about 75 yards they shouldn't blow to big of a hole. Got one with 308 last week left a good hole but didn't splash. The higher the speed of the bullet the better chance for a splash.

depends on where you hit them.

I handload & use 180 gr BT's for deer. I also load 125 gr BT's. Both are loaded hot.

I've shot yotes with both. Exits have not been monstrous with either, but it may be that the heavier bullet is better in that regard. Reason being that they take a bit longer to open up & get through the critter before they finish.

Hit any real bones with anything & all bets are off.

All with ballistic tips, from 15 feet (mule deer) to 250 yards (yote)

30-06:

1stu.jpg

30-06:

3stu.jpg

30-06:

2stu.jpg

I have some 165 gr. Balistic silvertip, will tyat blow it up? I might be able to borrow my friend's 7mm mouser, know anything about that?

I'd imagine a hard round, like an elk round will punch a hole through it without blowing it up. I've taken many with my 7mm rem mag. The 175's (Which is all I use in it anymore) punch a relatively small hole through just about anything from a black bear down, I can't imagine the -06 being a whole lot different.

Oh yea, i got your comment on my last post, should I use a shoft point or a fmj, I'm not very familiar withe ammo choices out there for the 06. And i dont know what it will do.

In my 243 winchester I went from 58 grain v-max to 100 grain BTSP and so far it punches the hole through both sides with a quarter inch hole and thats not too big really. I haven't tried any other shots other than broadside and missing the shoulder bone. If I hit the shoulder bone might be a different story...Sooner or later I will take the shot to find out, but I got an idea.

Back