at what age did you start reloading ? poll

Hooked

Just curious what age some of you started reloading. The reason I ask is because the friend who helped me get started figures I must be a 1% er as he he thinks most people start out younger than what I was (40 yrs then 42 now).I must say I really enjoy it too, and feel fortunate to have a mentor with much knowledge.It also helps that I can step outside and have a range out to 300 yards.One of the compliments my friend gave me when showing him some paper targets he said thats truly remarkable I said not bad for a rookie he said not bad for anybody.I decided, I must learn how to reload my own when a store bought reload came apart and cost me a follow up shot. Threw the rest of them away.

1st equipment was a Lee hand loader. Crude, but it worked.
Yikes...42 yrs. ago.

Here's a pic of the Lee hand loader for those who have never seen one. High Tech..................

leehandloader.jpg

Last edited:
15, with one of the lee shotgun loader sets. Everything done with a hammer
and a wood block on the dining room floor. Couldn't afford to shoot any other
way.

I don't remember exactly, I think I was about 30 but that has been around 35 years ago. I have discovered that you won't find the answer to all the questions, with each answer comes two more questions but that is what keeps it fun.

Originally Posted By: meinidahoI wrote the date on the first reloading manual I bought. According to the date, I was all of 13 years old when I started.

thanks for the reply and welcome to PM!
So far I reload for .223 Rem., 243Win.,30-30, 30-06 and .357Mag. sometimes for a friends .204 Ruger

I had bought me brand new (3 screw!) Super Blackhawk and knew that there was no way that I was going to be able to afford $7 for a 50 round box of .44 Mag ammo every week so I did was lots of others did and got me a Lee Loader. Within months bought my RCBS Rock Chucker and been using it every since. Shot that .44 so much that about 18 years ago Ruger had to put a new barrel on it for me.

Sure do wish $7 would still buy a box of .44 Magnum ammo.

I finally got over being intimidated by loading for rifles at age 30 of course I wasnt around much in my 20s

but I can remember being knee high to a grasshopper working that old MEC grabber with 8 shot and red dot in activ hulls!

Back