Teflon!

stanly

I just got my RRA 18" Varmint back from Black Ice Coatings. This is the 4th gun I've had him do. I will post some pics soon. Took it to the range for it's maiden voyage, put about 50 rounds down the barrel. With the teflon you just have to wipe it down with a rag when you're done. Nothing sticks to the teflon. Take the bolt out and just wipe it clean, it is really cool. Can't say enough about his work. If you might be interested you can check his work out at www.blackicecoatings.com.

I don't work for/with Lee in any way. Just think he has a great product. Give him a call, you won't be disappointed.

Mine are just plain black, but I'm telling ya, it's just awesome. The first one I sent him was my old Rem 788. The 788 was basically just a truck gun, but it is a tack driver. The blueing was thin, always getting surface rust, the bolt was loose as a 2 dollar whore on nickle night and wouldn't close on its own if you pointed the barrel at the floor. It came back, just beautiful and the bolt now closes on its own tilting it about 30 degrees. Besides the protection, not having to break out solvents and brushes to clean stuff is great! All the powder residue just wipes off with a rag. You obviously have to clean the bore, but thats it. A buddy was moose hunting this past September and was standing on a piece of over bank on a river. It gave way and in he went with his rifle. He just ran a couple patches through the barrel and that was it. His buddies in camp were looking at him like he was crazy, telling him his gun is gonna rust and he better tear it down. Nope, don't have to do anything more than I did. I believe they were making plans to send theirs down to get done. I know I'm a new member on this forum and I hope people don't think I'm trying to push this on anyone. I have been talking with Lee now for about 3 years and continue to send him my guns one at a time. Really like the thought of not having to worry about the rain, snow, mud etc...I take the Beretta on the boat when we go to Valdez every fall for the Silver run and the salt will tear up a finish pretty quick, not to mention it's usually raining the whole week. Just an awesome product.

"the bolt was loose as a 2 dollar whore on nickle night"
Ha ha ha! That's a real problem, lol. So the coating helped snug up the loose tolerances in the gun? Does it effect how the stock fits or the free floating of the barrel? It sounds like a really neat coating, just new to me. It would be nice on a waterfowl or upland bird gun that gets rained on. I like the patterns he has on the website. Would be neat on an AR too. Is there anything you don't like about it?

Lol,one of my favorite phrases. Ya know you can use it with just about any situation, tired as a, hotter than a, just use your imagination. It doesn't really change any tolerances. I believe he said it goes on someting like .006. If you ever get a chance to handle a 788 you'll see what I mean. No the bolt is still loose, designed that way but it just slides easier than a 2 dollar whore on nickle night lol. The bolts have 9 rear locking lugs, they say they were more accurate than the 700 so they quit making them. You can find them all over Gun Broker, but a lot of people who have them are really proud of them, they go for a pretty decent buck. But like I say, they are very accurate. I can't say there is anything I don't like about it. I wish he could come up with a white winter camo pattern though. Give Lee a call, great guy, tell him Andy from Alaska said hi. I can't seem to figure out how to load pics on here, can't do it directly from my computer. PM me your email and I'll send them to you that way if you want.

Pics

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

I believe it was like $135.00 or $145.00. All are pretty much in that range. You have to pay for shipping also but I think it's totally worth it. One of the things I forgot to mention, you don't have to oil anything either. The teflon is self lubricating. Click on the different links on his website he has the prices listed and he also just started the transfers. The problem with the transfers is that you can't apply anything to the teflon. Best bet is to give Lee a call, he can give you all the paticulars and answer any of your questions. I'm planning on going to the range tomorrow, but the wind is blowin like a 2 dollar whore on nickle night (sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes). I'll take some pics of the barrel and bolt etc and post them...

Originally Posted By: stanly I'm planning on going to the range tomorrow, but the wind is blowin like a 2 dollar whore on nickle night (sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes).
That funny right there.

Hey did you have to strip the lower or did they?

He does it there. He is an FFL holder and he does lots of ARs. Give Lee a call, he can answer all of your questions...

Teflon works really well, and looks great! We use it on all of our uppers, lowers, stainless steel barrels (optional).

Back