25-06 for coyote hunting?

ksduckhntr

I understand there are better calibers out there for coyote hunting but I want a bolt gun as a primary deer gun but occasional coyote gun as well. I have a ar15 223 so that is my primary yote gun but was thinking a bolt gun would be nice to carry every now and again. I like the range of bullets the 25-06 shoots. Any thoughts?

Ive had about 15 of them and loved every one except my A-bolt which had a 14 twist barrel. Almost all the others had a 10 twist basrrel and shot excelent. They arent fur friendly but they do kill deer great!!

I havent found anything in the 2506 that would spare a pelt. Then again, after they start to rub, who cares what the pelt looks like?
smile.gif

way I see it the only other option would be a 243

but u know what they say anything a 243 can fo the 25.06 will do better

I have shot a couple of coyotes with the 117gr hornady factory loads and 115gr winchester ballistic tip factory loads and had pretty good luck with the hides, of course they were all over 150 yds...I did shoot a couple within 100 yds and had major blow outs with the 117 gr. If its a longer shot the heavier bullets will usually punch through (if you don't hit bone) and leave about a quarter to half dollar sized exit. I usually take the 25-06 when long shots might be the norm or it is windy or might get a longer shot on pigs or deer. It is one heck of a do all (small to med sized game) caliber.

I shot one coyote with mange feeding on a feral cat I had
dispatched a few days earlier with the 25-06 Rem, and 85 gr,
Nosler BTs(Same bullet at the Winchester Silver Tip/Combined
Technology BT). The 85 gr. almost cut the cat in half.
The coyote had about a 4" exit hole, and felt like a bag
of marbles. I don't save pelts, and developed this load
as a long range coyote killer...It is that.

Squeeze

I've found the 25/06 to be one of the finest wildcats gone standard ever made. It is more than capable of taking out any coyote at ranges most of us wouldn't even consider shooting at one at. I've used some heavily constructed big game bullets and have seen almost no pelt damage whatsoever. They act just like fmj's in all cases. I wouldn't use lightly constructed frangible bullets, the far side shoulder wouldn't be worth looking at less selling. There's no substitute for .25 cal slugs delivering that little bit more energy...but you can always whack a deer if it's season and it tickles your fancy.

Thanks guys, I think I have my eye set on a tikka in 25-06 unless anyone has a better idea for straight out of the box accurate and quality. I'm really not looking to customize it. Just hunt it.

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 25-06 last year. Other than it being on the heavy side, it is one awesome rifle, shooting good heavy weight bullets very well; Like 3 shots into 1/2" groups at 100 yards, with a Weaver V-16 up top set at 16x.

+1 on the 25-06 being one super cartridge for deer and coyotes. I shoot the 115gr ballistic tip and drops deer and coyotes in their tracks. The only drawback is that the recoil doesn't allow you to watch the impact through the scope on yotes; however, it drops them DEAD unlike my 204 that usually gets at least some twitching and a few spinners. It is definately my go to gun if I am anticipating long shots or a lot of wind.

if you are set on the tikka you may want to consider the 243 instead as the tikkas short barrel does hinder the performance of the 2506. you should really get at least a 24" barrel

Here is picture of my Abolt 25-06 it is a good shooter with 1 in 10 and will shoot all of Noslers bullets 85 to 115gns and it likes the Bergers. I got this one at 120 yards right in the neck
P1010171.jpg

I got these two at 280 and 250 all drt
DSC00280.jpg

I load my own and my gun likes RL19 and RL22

My abolt is a 22" barrel and it does fine. I have never chronoed it to see I figure worst case I lose 125 fps. So what I don't think the dogs can tell.

Here's a few .25-06 killed dogs to go along with the ones above... by far my favorite "all-around" caliber.

100 NBT at a shade over 400 yards...
DSC00793.jpg

75 VMax... that's the Entrance Wound!...
ddp2.jpg

Back