DPMS 243

I'm interested to know also. I've been doing load work for a friends custom Armalite ar10 in .243, and it looks like it will shoot incredibly well. My last load with 105 amax were .5" five shot groups at 100 yards.

What are the specs on the armalite. Barrel lenght, type, twist etc. If it is a 1/10 twist, seems like 105grn is a little heavy. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
yep i have the DPMS in the 243. I had some trouble with the new gun. failure to eject Remington core-lokt 100 gr ammo for some reason. runs Winchester, Federal ammo perfect. I sent gun back to DPMS and they did some work on gas block and feed ramps etc. still will not run remington ammo ? very odd. the gun shoots 7/8 grous with winchester, federal 100 gr. Wish i new the problem with the remington ammo. marty

Last edited:
Martyrd- If you would like, send it back into us with a note detailing the issue on the Remington ammo. PM me and I will give you our UPS shipping number, that way you don't have to pay for the shipping. Right now the goal is to have the rifle in and out within 7 business days.

the 243L is a sub MOA rifle. Jay Nistetter seems to like his.

http://dpmsinc.com/awards/zone/animals/index.aspx

Last edited:
I was just getting ready to mention that Jay has one & has great luck with it.

I'm a little jealous of that .243!
glare.gif

DPMS rifles are the best,I had an AR-10 in 308 and it was a tack driver and wish I had never sold it. The rifle seemed a little heavy at the time and I started using me 6.8 because of the weight. I'am impressed with the response we just received from our sponser.My Sweet 16 has the perfect name!

DPMS LR243L

DPMSLR24301Small.jpg

DPMSLR24302Small.jpg

DPMSLR24303Small.jpg

Bushmaster 450

IMGP3064Small.jpg

Here are the specs:
Panther™ LR-243L
Description:
Barrel: 18" Length
• 416 Stainless Steel lightweight barrel
• 6 grooves, right-hand 1x10 twist, button rifled
• Custom Miculek Compensator
• Lightweight Gas Block
Chamber: .243 Winchester
Method of Operation: Gas operated rotating bolt
Bolt & Carrier:
• 8620 steel bolt carrier, heat treated and plated per Mil Spec
• Phosphated steel bolt, heat treated and plated per Mil Spec
Sights: None (mounting optics only)
Weight: Empty – 7.99 lbs.
Length: 39 1/8"
Upper Receiver:
• A3-Style Flattop
• Lightweight Upper, Extruded from 6066-T6 aluminum
• Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon® coated black
• Dust cover
• Shell deflector and forward assist machined as one unit
• Right hand ejection
Lower Receiver:
• Milled from a solid billet of 6061-T6 aluminum
• Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon® coated black
• Integral trigger guard
• Aluminum magazine release button
• JP Adjustable Trigger group (early 2008 model)
• Two Stage Trigger (late 2008 - Current model)
Stock: Skeletonized A2 Black Zytel Mil Spec w/trap door assembly
Handguards: Carbon Fiber Free Float Tube w/bipod stud
DPMSSight-in11-27-09Small.jpg

80and100grSPat75yardsSmall.jpg

Rem100grSPSmall.jpg

100yd80grFedSPSmall.jpg

Keep in mind that these groups (50, 75 and 100 yards) are all with 3X magnification behind EOTech dot. Adding the handicap that I also wear progressive lens glasses and you can see why I am pleased at how well the DPMS groups.

interesting, I have a 308L and it isn't feeding well at all. Bullet and cartridge are all tore up when feeding does happen. I thought it was just the magazines(based on doing web searches of similar issues with other folks) I bought with the gun, but I bought a magpul and they are still dinged up. I haven't shot it since getting the magpul and the cartridge isn't as tore up, but I think the feed ramps are part of the problem. They seem rough to the touch.I'll be interested if your problem is fixed...sounds familiar to mine. I have extraction issues as well(spent round is trapped on top of round being fed).

Originally Posted By: DPMSlocust, I sent you a PM. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hey, please ship Midway some more DCM 223 barrels.

I cheat and use cratex bullet points to polish feed ramps and break edges on the barrel extensions of new barrels. I kinda like doing my own uppers.

DPMS..thanks for the info. i think i will send it in again and have you guys look at it now that hunting season is over. i will put some remington ammo in with it. it does need to be able to shoot the big 3 brands. thanks. marty

Last edited:
Anyone else own this rifle?

The 7.99lbs is super attractive (basically the same weight as my heavy weight R15 24" barrel) and .243 is a great cheap cartridge to shoot.

I was set in my mind that .308 was the next purchase but have always liked .243.

Back