Red Plastic (Saran) Wrap

IMR4320

I have a good 120 lumen LED light that's just amazing. I bought a red lens to fit on it and it takes away way too much light...too thick I think. I was thinking about stretching red saran wrap over it. Any thoughts?...anybody ever try it?

I dont think you will get the effect you are looking for.
Do a search on "light filter gels" you will prob find something more suited for the application.

what's a roll cost? $2.00? give it a try and report back please.
smile.gif

The only problem with the Saran wrap is the heat generated by the bulb and the reaction of the 'plastic' to the heat...

Even the patch stuff that they sell as some auto supply stores for temporary repair of broken tail lights will tend to melt, crack, and/or burn under excessive heat generated by some lights..

I have an old 6 volt halogen that I use, I lost the red cover for it so I cut a clear piece of plastic and colored it on both sides with a purple permanent marker and it works. I tried red the first time but it was not dark enough

i use a dry erase marker and just color right on the lense which seems to work reallly well. i just keep the marker in my pocket and recolor right before hunting.

go to a craft store and get you a roll of red celaphane it withstands the heat better.or kill 2 birds with one stone go get your valentine a box of chocalates that is wrapped in the red celaphane make her happy and you get the wrap after she opens it. just don't let her know or she will think that is the only reason you bought the chocalates.lol

Ronsonol Lighter fluid for a zippo lighter might take it off as well. Worked great for removin the sticky stuff from tape off my 11-87. just a thought...

Last edited:
i took clear scotch tape and put it on the lens of my 4 cell mag lite the colored the tape with a red marker seemed to work alright and was nothing to premanent

I have a very bright B&D rechargeable and was thinking about cutting circles from a green face shield (like you would wear when using a oxy accet torch).Does green work?it shines bright through 1 piece so maybe double it?

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleThe only problem with the Saran wrap is the heat generated by the bulb and the reaction of the 'plastic' to the heat...

Even the patch stuff that they sell as some auto supply stores for temporary repair of broken tail lights will tend to melt, crack, and/or burn under excessive heat generated by some lights..

should be fine with his led light though because they stay so cool. Don't you think?

Back