Called in six today. . . .

okoyote

Called misterfuzzer to see if he wanted to try some calling this afternoon. Of course the answer is always "yes". We went to some pasture that has been producing. Actually, this was the third week in a row to the same area. Each time there was an abundance of coyotes. Today was no different.

The problem with this spot, and probably what makes it so good, is that you have to snowshoe a mile to get there. It's a lot of work. Worth it, but a lot of work.

We sat in the same spot we called in a group of five early in the fall. At about 25 minutes, after some howls and kiyis, I spot a coyote coming our way that is still a half mile out. I radio Mike but he is unable to spot it. At 40 minutes I spot it 400+ yards out and it disappears from view. At 55 minutes I haven't sighted it again. I try a challenge howl and the coyote stands up. It had bedded down on its way! The nerve! And then it bedded down again.

It is decided that I will try a spot and stalk while Mike helps spot from a distance. I was able to close the distance to 235 yards according to the rangefinder. I used a trick from a hunting video to support the bipod legs in the snow with my gloves.

IMGP0725.jpg

The coyote was balled up and I tried to take a pic through the riflescope. It didn't turn out very well, but here you go.

IMGP0723.jpg

While watching through the scope the coyote lifts its head and I decide to shoot. I shoot and miss. Mike is watching from a distance and starts to kiyi. The coyote stops for another look and the .204 tikka varmint puts it down at 345 yards.

IMGP0730.jpg

Here is Mike helping drag this bugger over a mile to the truck.

IMGP0731.jpg

The whole process took almost 3 hours and whooped us pretty good.

We drive to another section of land where we spotted 5 coyotes last week. Right away Mike spots a coyote balled up on a section line. The plan was to set up and call it in. While walking in we find where the coyotes had been digging in the snow for a meal and this large hole that was either a coyote den or ???

IMGP0734.jpg

Mike walks further down the section and radios back that he sees 3 more coyotes balled up on a different section line!! After we are both settled, I start squalling on the crit-r-call and right away we have 3 takers from one side and 2 takers from another. Mike and I are radioing back and forth with updates and soon I have a pair standing 275 yards in front of me. Just when I think they are totally committed. . . . the group by Mike starts to howl. The pair in front of me starts to move out and I take a crappy shot. All the coyotes take off and live to see tomorrow.

We'll get em another day!! Thanks to Mike for another great hunt!!

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"...While walking in we find where the coyotes had been digging in the snow for a meal and this large hole that was either a coyote den or ???"

Maybe they were trying to find that buried ransom money from 'Fargo'.

Awesome job!! Thanks for the cool story and those sweet pics ! Never used a Tikka but I love to watch Les Johnson on Predator Quest whackem with his .204 / .22-250
thumbup1.gif

Your country looks a little covered up like ours. I have never used snow shoes before but I'm gonna have to break down and buy a pair. Good shot with the 204.

It was a very fun afternoon, but what a workout! My shirt was still soaked by the time we got home. I wasn't surprised at all when Okoyote smoked the first one, but was VERY surprised when the first of the five wasn't a bang flop as usual. It's good for all of us to miss. The only thing bad about when the 5 came in was that we didn't drag any fur out. I was in a great spot and could see all of the action. After our cover was blown, there was a LOT of howling going on all around us. It was a GREAT day to NOT be working!!!

Back