Brass catchers

204 AR

Do any of you guys use brass catchers at the range, or do you just track down your brass after shooting. Just wondered, because most of the ones I've seen for sale are pretty dissapointing or really expensive. Kind of trying to see if there is any market for an inexpensive brass catcher that works.
Thanks

I have never used one but have kind of been shopping around for one and I know what you mean. A friend of mine made one that was pretty slick but as of now, I'm digging in the snow and I'm sick of it.

You guys mirror my experience exactly. I got my first ar in '96 and for many years losing brass was a reason not to shoot it, especially in the snow.

To continue with the story, a few weeks ago I had a "eureka" moment and came up with one different than I've ever seen. I've made several now and they seem to work. I have tested them several times at the range with no failures of any kind, but have not been in the field. They are made entirely of pvc fence material, so are very light, and $8 worth of material was enough to make about 8 or 9. It does take a few tools and a little time, though.

The catcher design itself was easy; designing a way to mount it to the rifle is the hard part. So far I've got a good way to mount them to my two designs of uppers, the dpms high-rise and a regular flat-top with regular weaver style rings. Using one of the Burris or Larue style mounts would require another design, but would be doable if I had access to one. The same applies to the a2 upper. If I can figure out how to get pictures from my camera to here I will if anyones interested.

Skydiver's post came up while I was typing my last one, but that e&l one is pretty similar to what I came up with. The mesh/velcro one is like one I have and don't like. Brass bounces back into the action once in a while and jams you up. And with mine the hot brass sticks to the nylon. Better than nothing, though.

I've got an UTG velcro on style, I'd give it a 2/10. Brass just bounces back towards the action 95% of the time. Works better than digging through the snow, but not a good design.

I've used the E & L catcher for three(3) years booming prairie dogs with my RR Varmint EOP with satisfactory results..had to modify with a Dremel due to EOP but no big deal. They may have a model specifically for that now.

Keeps your fingers off the cactus, LOL.

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_69921.jpg

_P5010088.jpg

"sharkathmi" showed me this trick, a simple inner tube over the port. The brass just falls to the bench as the above pic shows. RDR

That's the same concept I use. I have a weighted cover over the chamber and the brass just falls straight down.
JEV

I made 4 brass catchers for my ARs, all work great. Very similar to the CTD ones you see for $20, cost me all of about $15 to make all four.

I got pictures that I wish I could post but don't know how.
confused.gif
I can email them if you pm an email address. I see the icon to add images, but don't know if I can retrieve them from my computer of if they need to be online already.

I have one of those nylon Bag with the Velcro straps. It works fine as long as you keep the mouth of the bag open.

Someone on here posted a picture a while back of a flap made from an inner tube that he said worked real well to keep the brass at your feet.

DAB

Hey 204AR, I got the pics. Those look great! Where did you get the PVC fence material at? Do you bend the PVC on a siding break, or what? Thanks alot for your input.

kevlars

I hope I get these in the right order for you 204-AR

The white one was one of the first and attaches using the bottom half of the scope ring. It fits under the scope, which is pretty high, and clamps on the rail
IMG_0595_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back