Training the pup....tell me coyote decoy dogs don't work!

TonyTebbe

I have a hunter coming in tomorrow, for the weekend, so I decided to go make a few stands today and check if the coyote's turned back on yet. It's been cold and windy and they've just been laying low the past few days.

I thought it'd be a good time to train my Cur/Jagd pup, Dixie. I bought her from Devin, right here on PM, when she was a young pup. She's been really showing interest and I've been spending quite a bit of time working with her, same as I did with Gunner at her age. Figured it's time to take her out and get some fur in front of her. I loaded her and Gunner up on the jeep and off we went.

We made a couple of blank stands to start off with. I thought, oh great...it's finally warming back up, sun is out and they are still turned off. Arghhh!

The next stand, I had a hard charger come in that wouldn't stop and ended up running into my scent cone and was outta there. No shot opporutnity, but hey....a solid response to jackrabbit distress!

gunnerdixiebobtailstand1.jpg

We went deeper into the ranch and called a stand that we've killed quite a few coyotes on already this year. Gunner was sitting next to me on post and Dixie was out in front about 100 yards, milling around. About 7-8 minutes into the stand, I heard Dixie start growling. I looked up to see a big male coyote on a hillside, checking up. I decided to give him a couple more gravely jackrabbit choking sounds. I looked through my scope and noticed he was locked on the Dixie and could care less about any rabbit at this point. He stared at her forever, so I just went silent and wanted to see this scene unfold.

I was kicking myself for not having my video camera on me, but remembered I had my digital camera in my coat pocket. I rested the camera on top of my scope and started snapping pics.

bobtailstalk1.jpg

The Jagd Terrier blood has really been showing in Dixie, as she's very protective at home of anything that moves or makes noise. She's quite the agressive barker. I was hoping she'd bring that attitude to stand and she did. She began barking and growling at the coyote and that's all it took...here he came to get a closer look.

bobtailstalk2.jpg

She was raising cane at him, as she worked here way back to me. Gunner sat next to me and watched, waiting for his que to charge.

bobtailcoming2.jpg

This big male was totally focussed on Dixie and never even seen me snapping pictures, while she was meer feet next to me. He could care less about the wind direction and stayed upwind of us. Head low, and fully convinced that he wanted that dog.

bobtailcoming1.jpg

At this point, I figured it was time to set the camera down and get up on the gun, as he was only 30 yards and working his way around me. I set the camera down, swung the crosshairs through him and touched off the trigger when it hit his ribs. Boom....whop! The coyote flips over, but gets up and starts running.

That's Gunner's que to go tackle this runner. He charged after the coyote with Dixie in tow. They were too fast and I could only get Dixie in frame.

dixierun1.jpg

The coyote finally ran out of steam from the heartshot within 60-70 yards and had 2 dogs ready to keep him in place. Gunner works him over and teaches Dixie the fine art of recovery.

gunnerbobtail2.jpg

"See here girl, hear this crunching and popping? This makes sure they are down and makes the boss happy. Got it?"

gunnerdixiebobtail1.jpg

Dixie with her first decoyed coyote and number 225 for Gunner. That one stand did it for her. She's focussed on stand now and actually barked at tractor trailers driving on the highway on the horizon on the last stand of the day.
smile.gif

dixiebobtail1.jpg

All this and it's a natural bobtail coyote, to boot! The dogs are both sleeping on the back porch, while I have to go skin this one out. What gives?
grin.gif

bobtail1.jpg

Thought I'd share with yall.

Tony

wow! that is so cool! my gosh Gunner is nothing but muscle! id hate to have him after me! Dixie is a pretty dog also!

on a average day, how many coyotes does Gunner come in contact with? does it change alot?

Dang! I like the looks of that dog too Tony.
thumbup.gif

Throw in the attitude and she's bout bulletproof.

Good job, I could hear her barking and growling.
grin.gif

I use Gunner for recovery on cat stands. You'll notice a notch missing out of his left ear, in some of his photos. That was from recovering an injured cat. I make him stay in the hunging rig, while on stand, though. Cats get spooky when they see the dog. We lost 5 out of 9 cats, in two nights, last season. That's when I was committed to get a dog. I've not lost a single shot animal, since I got him. I can't tell you how many he's recovered this season.

Tony

Once agian really good story. That sure is some crazy looking country. Keep up the awesoe posts. You are getting nothing but respect from me with each one that I read.

Great camera footage Tony...Dixie looks like she could handle her own coyote with an attitude like that. You can tell Gunner dont think to highly of coyotes...lol.

Cool Pics Tony and loved the story also, There both good lookin dogs.
I found out yesterday that my GF jst bought me a Male Jack Russell and i think hes gunna get turned into a coyote dog.
Steve

Originally Posted By: bamayote23my gosh Gunner is nothing but muscle!
I'll say!! He's an awesome dog!
thumbup.gif
Looks like Dixie is learnin' fast.
wink.gif

Ben

Wow great pics. You can just see the story unfolding. I have never used a dog to hunt yotes before but, i see that it is very effective! Great looking dogs!

There's nothing more fun that watching a dog figure things out as a pup. I believe there is a very vital point in a young dog's life that you need to train them. If you miss it, it'll never be as ingrained. Dixie is going to be a good one.

The standoff was intense. Way, way more fun that just calling one up. Wish I would have been filming, though.

Tony

Originally Posted By: norohohutchA post like this is why I love this site. Keep up the good work.

I am with you 100% on that , it sure does make the time go by better out here at work. Billy

Back