Help choosing a 22 Mag bullet for coyotes.

I use the winchester hp 40 grainers and the best shot to date with it was at 125-130 yards and he just stood there and then fell over drt. Now that it has been mentioned i am going to have to try the cci gamestopers and see what they do. May have another round to add to my ammo beings that 22wmr ammo is scarce around these parts.

i shot a yote with the hornady 30v-max from about 30 feet it hit with a thump and put it down fast.. the cci 30grain hollor point with blow a hole in a yote

Most guys recommend 40 gr, others swear by the 50gr Federals. I would take a look at the Energy statistics and go from there.

I shoot a marlin 22 mag and shoot 33 gr remington accutips 5 shot 1/2 inch group at 100 yards and plenty off knock down power. Once shot a ground hog at 150 with these bullets

Ive killed coyotes with RWS Hp and FMJs same with Winchester loads and the 34gr. supreme. Killed them with Rem 33gr. V-maxs and the CCI +Vs! Now thats the one you don't hear to much about is the CCI 30gr. +V the fastest 22 mag round I ever chronoed. And it knocks the stuffing out of coyotes. My average velocity for 10 shots out of the +Vs was over 2,300fps. taken at 10ft.from muzzle. Thats one bad little round. ~marco

The 40gr 22mag at 90 yards is ballistically identical to a 40gr 223 Remington at 500 yards.

Just thought I'd throw that in to stir up some controversy.

WOW, maybe i'll I'll just start using my old Winchester 190 in .22LR, LR is for for LONG RANGE, RIGHT! Come on now, you cant be serious!

there is a good article on the 22 mag in the march 2010 issue of shooting times.
I have always had good success with the cci game point but I am going to try the winchester dynapoints.

Hey Marco,

I just ordered some CCI 30 gr. +V for the 22. mag. Thought I would check them out and see how well they might shoot in my Marlin. As you know, I've been shooting the Remington 33 gr. V-Max and getting some pretty darn good accuracy, but thought I would try these +Vs at your recommendation and see how it goes.

One other thing, getting off topic a little bit, but what kind of accuracy can be expected with a custom 22 mag, I mean one that is built for accuracy?

Great round the CCI 30 +V! I hope your rifle likes them 6mm06. I chronoed them out of my 20" barrel Ruger and at 10ft. from muzzle I got 2,300fps. out of them for 10shots and true muzzle velocity would be closer than 2,350fps. and Ive killed coyotes with them, one I remember was at 50yd. or so and a +V right behind the shoulder and he didnt know what hit him!You know 6mm06, 2,350fps. is close to 370ft.lbs of muzzle energy. They are alot of guys around here that shoot the +Vs great little round. ~Marco

Years ago there was and article in Shooting Times and Layne Simpson did it on the 22 magnum, he said he had built a 22magnum on a Rem 40x action said it was the most accurate 22 magnum he ever owned. If you want to get the best in 22 magnums Id go with the Cooper and put a custom barrel on it, lots of money I know but Cooper makes a great Magnun! Id look at the Cooper LVT and a after market barrel. Or you could get the VMBZ if it doesnt shoot good enough for you put a custom barrel on it, but the VMBZ would be a good start on a tack driving magnum. ~Marco

Thanks.

I like the idea of owning a Cooper, but my wallet likes the VMBZ better. I notice that Lilja makes barrels for the 77/22, so that might be a good route to go. Just something I've been tossing around in my mind.

You could get a good used Ruger for around $400 restock it piller bed and glass bed the the stock, get a timmney spring and sear, Lilja or Shilen barrel true up the boltface shim it, lap the rings and you would have one dandy 22 mag for under $1,000 bucks! Hey that sounds pretty good I may look into that too. I don't know though my stock VMBZ shoots alot better than I can shoot most times, and when I weigh cases and check rim thickness it does real well.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Hey Marco,

I just ordered some CCI 30 gr. +V for the 22. mag. Thought I would check them out and see how well they might shoot in my Marlin. As you know, I've been shooting the Remington 33 gr. V-Max and getting some pretty darn good accuracy, but thought I would try these +Vs at your recommendation and see how it goes.

2nd worst round I tried in my Mag Research WMR, 2nd only to the 50gr Federal that literally had trouble hitting the target! It didnt like the 40gr CCI either, naturally I have a bunch of those
frown.gif
. It might work for you though, might as well find out.
(PS, I can get MOA out of several other rounds).

Greyhunter,

You may be right. As we all know, different rifles like different ammo. Experimenting is the way to find out. If it doesn't work, I've still got the Remington 33 V-Max.

Thanks.

David

Yep, they seem to be picky about ammo. The Remington 33gr were the most accurate in my gun and of course the most expensive. Plain old Win grey box 40gr HP's were a close second and seem to do a tad better on game, so thats what I'm going with for now. About 50% cheaper than the Remmys, but they arent as clean to shoot. The 30gr Hornadys shot pretty decent as well, so bullet weight doesnt seem to be the factor, at least in my gun.

Back