gun came back stolen

yotekiller31

bought a gun at a local gun show kept it for a few months got bored with it so traded it to a local gun shop for some tc stuff then i guess someone went to buy it from the shop and it came back stolen now the sherrifs chargeig me with reciving stolen property he asked me who i bought it from i never saw the guy in my life!

Yes get a lawyer, quick. Did I say quick? Only question in my mind is why didn't the gunshop run a check when you brought the rifle in.

Grizzlyone; that wasn't called for in any way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chris112Yes get a lawyer, quick. Did I say quick? Only question in my mind is why didn't the gunshop run a check when you brought the rifle in.

Grizzlyone; that wasn't called for in any way.
Who buys a gun from a stranger at a gun show without going through proper channels leaving ones self vulnerable to criminal prosecution! I'm not saying, I'm just saying. I wish him luck, I hope he gets it sorted out, Grizz.

Originally Posted By: KrackerI always Get the Name Address and DL # for all Gun Purchases rp

Yup I always make up a bill of sale with all the info above, DL #, & a picture of the DL if there is a copy machine as well as a signature printed & signed.
I made my own printed BOS for my own sales & of those I buy if FTF.

I also wish you well in this problem you have.

Had a very similar thing happen many years ago. Back when you could buy a gun at the flea market. I was 18 and didn't realize the consquences of buying a gun that was stolen. Ultimately it was sorted out but there were a couple of days that I thought my number was up.

I would like to think you could get this cleared up pretty quick! Besides, how can they charge you and not the gun shop? The gun shop was also in the middle of this mess as well!

Quote:Who buys a gun from a stranger at a gun show without going through proper channels leaving ones self vulnerable to criminal prosecution!
Grizz... It happens all the time at gun shows, usually out in the parking lot...That is one of the best reasons to go through a FFL, unless you really know the seller...and even then, I question the practice...as he may have just bought it a couple of rows over and having "buyer's regret" (usually an angry wife)...

The dealer should have called the sheriff's office when he purchased it...just for his own protection as well..It wouldn't have helped Yotekiller31's position, but memory and facts might have been a little easier to establish then..

I agree with getting a good "Criminal" attorney...not one that specializes in wills and probate...or divorces and traffic accidents/tickets...I don't know about Ohio, but in MO, "Receiving Stolen Property" is a Felony,,,, especially if the prosecutor is coming up for election and needs another conviction by his name...

1. A good attorney at this stage is a must. I did not say a cheap attorney.

2. Everything you can possibly remember about the incident, write it down and give it to your attorney only.

3. Do not talk anymore about this to anyone other than your attorney, period.

Since they charged you, this is going to take a while to sort out so don't panic just yet. What you are charged with and what the end result is are two different things. Let your attorney handle it.

Last edited:
Back