Any one use Basset hounds for hunting rabbits?

They might run 'em fast enough to make 'em run
the big circle without stoping??????? why not
try and see? maybe some have.......I've had big
fast healthy hounds catch 'em before you can get
a shot off......what do you do?

No but I really would like to see a good pack of conditioned bassetts running a rabbit. I bet those big old bawling voices would be downright beautiful on a good hare chase. I've got beagles and would like to be able to compare them.

They are actually better at tracking than Beagles. Ran both back in the early 60's as a kid, and a good Basset would mean a limit on cottontail in Pennsylvania.

In the late sixties in Ontario I was running beagles for rabbits and big hounds for coons.I had about 20 hounds.

A friend had been looking for a basset for a house pet. He called me as he had found some pups and wanted me to go with him and have a look.

As it turned out the people had two litters of pups and 4 adult dogs, 3 females and a male. They were splitting the sheets and neither wanted the dogs. Of course with only 20 hounds of my own, any fool could see I needed a bunch more.
wub.gif

I took the whole works minus one pup that my buddy took.
I had rabbits that I used to start the beagles on so it didn't take long before I introduced the bassets to the bunnies.
I don't remember laughing so hard at a hard working dog before or since. Three of the adults were keeners and got right at it. One of the females was not interested at all.

The pups were absolutely hilarious in the pen baying, tripping on their ears and chasing rabbits in the big pen.
lol.gif

I did hunt them and sold some pups to rabbit hunters as well.

If you have the chance,do it.

My brother has had several good bassets and basset beagle mixes that would run rabbits all day. Ive only used beagles. But yes they can and will hunt rabbits very well. Good luck with yours.

im sure a basset hound is not going to be the fastest thing in the world on a rabbit track.. infact id probably venture to say they are slower then a brace hound.lol. and thats hard to imagine.... but im sure a basset hound would have a great nose on it.

Last edited:
The nice thing about the bassets is that they have such a keen nose and they ARE so slow, generally speaking. The rabbits aren't pressed and will be less apt to hole up or cross boundaries.

Only one time and based on that experience all I can say is to bring a lawn chair. Its going to take awhile to bring the rabbit past you.

Red Frog that is a pretty cool story!!! One thing for sure is that those bassets are probally the funniest dogs alive! I let her chase some rabbits about a 3 weeks ago. She did ok, I am sure there are some things I could do to make her better.

Originally Posted By: NY Yote hunterRed Frog that is a pretty cool story!!! One thing for sure is that those bassets are probally the funniest dogs alive! I let her chase some rabbits about a 3 weeks ago. She did ok, I am sure there are some things I could do to make her better.

Would love to see pics

I did some searching and found some video of Bassets running rabbits. The rabbits kind of strolled past the hunter and one of the guys was rolling them with a .22 The dogs in the video had shorter ears than some of the show dogs you see...for some reason show crowd thinks is OK for the dog to step on his own ears. These dogs had longer ears than a beagle but not dragging. I have owned 2 Bassets and they are very fun!

My Dad had Basset hounds. They have a great nose and run rabbits slowly so they do not hole up.
We had one female that we used for grouse. She would slow when she was on sent.
Great dogs to find a downed bird. Make good pets for the kids.
Ours liked to work alone, not in a pack.

Back