What if...

Sharps Shooter

I just got to thinking. What if you are out calling coyote and bring in a lion or bear or something for which you have no license. How can you tell if they are aggressive and likely to turn today's coyote hunter into tomorrow's lion scat?

If you blast one because you truly believe you are about to be eaten, how much trouble do you get into with the wildlife officials?

It's all going to depend on your exact situation and you can just bet that the game warden will be checking up on your story if it happens.

If you said a lion was going to eat you and evidence showed that it was shot broadside at 30 yards you would be in trouble. How much? Depends on the state laws. Keep in mind that even if you were right the officials might believe and find otherwise. Still, I would rather pay the fine than get stiched up or worse so you do what you have to do. Such is life.

------------------
Take care,
Daryl
yotewalk.gif

Hey Sharps,
Sorry I didn't call ya yesterday. My kid wa sick all day. Let's get together Thursday after work for a beer. Whadaya say?
Have a happy and safe 4th!
Dawgkilla

------------------
That which does not kill me makes me stronger...and is usually dead when I'm finished with it!

What Daryl said... It pretty much depends on the local law enforcement. In this state, no one will fault you for defending yourself but any obvious "shenanigans" might draw attention.

In most states it will be treated with the same level of investigation & respect as they would a homicide, in some maybe more. I know in Alaska if you had a dirty camp or garbage in your garage and had to shoot a bear," your at fault" and you can be made to pay restitution to replace the animal. Most of the guys I know who used a deer call use to carry a Brownie tag Just to save the hassle of going through the investigation, if they ever ended up in a What IF Situation.

I can't see to many bleeding heart juries siding with a guy who knowing go's into Bear or Lion country and blows on a call mimicking a food source (so he can kill a poor little coyote who never did any thing to him) then clams he was in fear of their life from the big bad Bear or Lion.

You can bet if I ever had to shoot a Lion or Bear out of season in defence of life and property and was going to tell anyone about, it would have powder burns on the hide and it would have chased me in front of a 100 nuns and school teachers who would all be subpoena later to testify in my behalf .

------------------

Keep your hooks sharp and you powder dry.

wildoats

I carry an ar-15 / a double mag clamp, (40 rnds total) on full auto, a 6-24x44 scope with a optima 2000 red dot mounted on top of the scope, night vision, and a camera mounted that takes a picture through the scope each time a around is fired.Just for this scenario! LOL gj.

PS had a gernade launcher mounted but the rifle became a little to heavy for my bipod!

www.moaammo.com

moa@reloader.net

[This message has been edited by gj (edited 07-05-2001).]

GJ: Don't the grenades attract the attention of the local constabulary?

------------------
Regards,

Sharps Shooter.

'74 Sharps... when you care enough to use the very best.

Hello,
Well, I guess it would depend. You should never shoot anything out of season. That is just wrong. Anybody caught in this situation has my deepest sympathy, because some far-reaching decisions are going to have to be made rather quickly.

Something to think about is "are licenses for this critter available at the corner store?" If it is an over-the-counter deal, just go get a license, and keep it with you.

Here is another bad deal. The guns you shoot yotes with, with the 243 class rounds being about the max, are really kind of light for shooting at a bear with. Might be better off to hold your breath and hope the creature passes or you will probably just make them seriously mad.

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

If you called in a lion, I really don't think it's gonna try to kill you, they have killed kids and one woman that I know of, but a full grown man, I've never heard of such a thing. A bear could be a little different, they have killed men, but it so rare I don't think I'd worry about that either, I'm talking black bears now, a grizz will eat ya for lunch and make you into scat by dinner time, thats one bad ma ma hehehehe, good hunting guys.

Couple of years back a lion attacked a guy on a bicycle in the People's Republic of Boulder. I guess he kept wailing on the cat with his bike, and eventually the cat went away. Must have been a vegetarian cat! Only fruits and nuts live in Boulder!!!

------------------
Regards,

Sharps Shooter.

'74 Sharps... when you care enough to use the very best.

Originally posted by Sharps Shooter:
GJ: Don't the grenades attract the attention of the local constabulary?

Due to its weight I only use it while hunting p-dogs. We are on private prop and when we aint they are a little hesitant to approach us. LOL gj.

------------------
http://www.moaammo.com

moa@reloader.net

Danny, Sharp shooter,

1st. Black bears tend to eat their vic's more so than Brownies/Grizz hence the advice when mauled by a Brownie, play dead! when mauled by a blackie fight to the death!

2nd you can kill any BLk bear that walks with the proper shot to the head with any 22lr much less a 243.

My last post was from experience, having had to shoot a 6.5 foot blk bear that was nose to nose with my Rottweiler bitch. I made the shot at 90 yards from my couch with my AR-15 and a 64, gr Fed Match BTHP. I was watching the bear in the scope on 9x @ 90 yards. When the dog food raiding bear stood his ground and the dog entered the scope, I figured it was time to make the shot for fear of lossing my dog.

Just like a women after that the Black Bitch of mine figured all she ever had to do was bark and heads would explode!

I got a $125 ticket for not leaving proff of sex on the hide, then the hide was stolen by another bear off the side of my house to top it off!

I will never shoot another bear again!

------------------

wildoats

[This message has been edited by wildoats (edited 07-06-2001).]

wildoats, I've taken a couple blackies in my day and your right, there easy to kill if you put the bullet in the right place, I'm sure you seen the pic of the one my buddy got with a 6mm ppc, it was almost 8' and went 667 lbs, he shot it in the neck. I think there are more black bear eating people rather then a grizz, because there are alot more of them, to be honest, I dont want either one of them after my ass hehehehehe, Good Hunting.

No really Danny,
I think it has been shown that once a Blk Bear finds the soft spots he tends to dig in "if not driven off" even if his intentions was to just kick your ass, he just can't help himself when it comes to a easy meal. Can any one tell us if it's the same with the big cats? They tend to chew on the vic's a little dont' they? What about the poor old lady who died in a apt full of cats and they ate her to the bone? or is that just a story I tell my nephew late at night between stands.

------------------

wildoats

I think if I were being stalked by a HUNGRY lion or bear when calling coyotes and they got alittle to close for comfort,I would shoot first and ask about the legality later.I would rather be a bear/lion poacher than a dead coyote caller.hehehehehe
wink.gif
GOOD HUNTING

[This message has been edited by UTcaller (edited 07-07-2001).]

Back