6x45 range report

GregW

Second range trip for the new rifle.

DSCN2050.jpg

6x45, Howa action, 1:9 twist McGowen at 21", Rifle Basix, B&C medalist and VX-II 3-9 in Talley lows.

The first range trip was cold, windy, and had some techincal issues regarding bullet and lands length (long story). All the kinks are out so this morning I hit it again. 45 degrees with a slight wind.

Bullets: 75 Vmax and 80 TTSX
Powders: TAC and H335

First target was with 75 Vmax and TAC. Not too shabby. Common theme with this bullet/powder combo was random fliers as seen on the target. I'll follow up with some of these loads but wanted to see what I was working with today. Powder charge, velocity, and group size are shown on target. Did not hit excessive pressure with the highest charge here.

DSCN2056.jpg

75 Vmax and H335 here. Random fliers generally went away. Some of the fliers were me and were noted. Velocity is up a bit as it accuracy. Take home here is that ES and SD were much, much lower across the board using H335 compared to TAC. I know these are only 3 shot groups but I think some useful info can be gleaned with this. This is the combo I'll do a follow up tip with. No excessive pressure at the highest powder charge.

DSCN2057.jpg

And now the 80 TTSX target. This bullet is just not going to work for my application.

DSCN2060.jpg

With both powders, pressure came upon me much more sudden than with the 75 Vmax. Way more sudden. Accuracy was not too good and my velocity when hitting pressure was not acceptable for me and this rifles application.

Take home: I like this little rifle. Report and recoil are nothing. Easy to shoot and appears to have potential. I imagine I'll find a H335 load in there about 2900 or so and will call it good with the Vmax. This velocity if just fine with me and it's intentions.

The TTSX I think I'm done with. It's too tough a bullet for these velocities and will fall below recommended impact velocity quicker than I want it to. Plus, for some reason, pressure comes quick and sudden. Maybe it's something else but there's a few good reasons I'll look for another deer bullet.

I've got 80 Speer Hot-Cor's and some 80 grain Remington PSP's around somewhere I'll give a go in this rifle.

Any thoughts, comments, and opinions are wanted but only if they're nice...grin...

I have not shot anything heavier than 68gr bullets yet but H335 has been giving the highest velocities with good accuracy. TAC was a so-so perfomer for me as well if memory serves.
Good looking rig is this a new coyote getter?

I would give rel15 a serious look with that size bullet. Its the top performer in my 223 with 8 twist barrel and 75-80gr bullets.

venatic,

Will be a new deer and calling rifle. I wanted a dedicated calling bolt gun as I've had quite a few I've used and sent down the road. Finally built one like I wanted. This one will go real good in sticks. Have too many dedicated calling AR's...grin...

I'll also whack some deer with it anyway as I have been with my 6x45 upper...

What velocities with your 68's and what tube length?

FA good accuracy node appears to fall somewhere between 26.4 to 27.4 of H335. A 75 Vmax at 2900 to 2950 with accuracy is exactly what I wanted. A Vmax does an awful lot of killing at moderate velocities in my experiences.

Outlaw,

Quickload did not think RL-15 was a good powder. Way down the list as far as bulkiness and velocity. My velocities and loads matched Quickload almost to a proverbial "T"...

Last edited:
Nice looking rig. The V-MAX loads with H-335 look good. The rapid pressure rise with the solid core bullets is pretty common. As far as a Deer bullet, I have had the best luck with the 85gr. Sierra. Both the Blitz and the HPBT work pretty well. Varget, H-322, and Benchmark have turned in the best groups for me with these bullets. Those fliers are really concerning. Were these fireformed brass or first fire?
John

pcammo,

The 75 Sierra "varminter" is a fantastic deer bullet FWIW. At least at 2730 it is.

DSCN2048.jpg

I can't keep one in a deer.

Exit side.
DSCN1463.jpg

Exit side.
DSCN1961-1.jpg

If I could get the 80 TTSX to 2900 I'da run it for a few seasons. Not gonna happen though.

In all honestly, I'm kinda glad it performed poorly. I'll probably get better performance on deer at these velocities with a cup-n-core. Plus cup-n-cores tend to have a lower minimum performance velocity than to mono's.

Brass was all once-fired .223 R-P stuff FL sized. I'll start neck sizing from here on out.

Last edited:
Greg the 68gr will run 3100fps from a 22 inch barrel with H335 but that is about max.
It has worked for deer for me as well. Culled this one while coyote hunting.
IMG_0350.jpg

Anybody shot the Sierra 80gr Blitz that struck me as a good bullet for the 6X45mm speeds.

Outlaw,

It is indeed a 6mm-.223. Steve may recommend RL-15 but I have no experience with it.

Venatic,

I assume your 68 is the Berger? If so, are you seeing consistent exits as it appears that nice has?

Thanks...

Just trying to help, I have no experience with the 6mm223 but my 223's like H335 up to 55gr bullets and then rel 15 does better with the larger bullets. Maybe too slow for your application though.

I shot the 68gr Berger first but then got a deal on 400 Euber 68gr BT's and have used them since. I also tried the 65gr Vmax which shot well and I killed a couple of coyotes and pigs with it.
I shot that buck and a doe about two minutes apart and both bullets were pass-thru's and on the doe it totally destroyed the off-side shoulder.

AA2015 is a very good powder for the 6x45, with a wide range of bullets. It has never turned in the tightest groups in my rifles but it has for a friend of mine with the 88gr. Berger.
John

Originally Posted By: venaticGreg the 68gr will run 3100fps from a 22 inch barrel with H335 but that is about max.
It has worked for deer for me as well. Culled this one while coyote hunting.
IMG_0350.jpg

Anybody shot the Sierra 80gr Blitz that struck me as a good bullet for the 6X45mm speeds.

I hate it when those pesky 11 points ruin a perfectly good coyote hunt.......

Anyone use the .419 BC 90gr Swift Scirroco 11 in their 6X45's?

I am looking at getting a barrel in 6X45 for my Robinson Arms XCR in 223 so started playing around with a ballistic calculator this morning and checked most of the bullet manufacturer sites for ballistic coefficient info.

Swifts technician called me back this afternoon and told me this bullet will reliably mushroom at a low of 1650fps = with a 2700fps muzzle velocity @ 225 yards the velocity is still 2250fps & ft lbs of energy = 1006.

If I were to go to a 60gr .224 bullet out of a 223 at only 50 yards the ft lbs of energy is already at 1000.

It MAY be hard to reach that velocity with that long of a bullet due to magazine restrictions. That being said, the Swift Scir. is a decent bullet that does expand at lower velocities. If you want to shoot medium size critters, it should be a good choice.
John

Originally Posted By: MokiAnyone use the .419 BC 90gr Swift Scirroco 11 in their 6X45's?

I am looking at getting a barrel in 6X45 for my Robinson Arms XCR in 223 so started playing around with a ballistic calculator this morning and checked most of the bullet manufacturer sites for ballistic coefficient info.

Swifts technician called me back this afternoon and told me this bullet will reliably mushroom at a low of 1650fps = with a 2700fps muzzle velocity @ 225 yards the velocity is still 2250fps & ft lbs of energy = 1006.

If I were to go to a 60gr .224 bullet out of a 223 at only 50 yards the ft lbs of energy is already at 1000.

The 223rem with 80gr SMKs still has over 1000fpe at 200yds and the BCs are listed at .420, why would you prefer the 6mm bullet instead?

Back