shotgun chock

wis.dave

I have an old rem. 11,12 gauge auto 2 3/4 shotgun with no choke it was an old navy deck gun from what I'm told . My question is do you guys think it will work o.k. to 40 yards with turkey loads ?

The proof is in the pudding....

Take the shotgun and your intended ammo to a safe shooting area and take along some big pieces of cardboard and shoot at the cardboard to see how it patterns. You can figure out youre max range from there.

for coyotes #4 buck is a pretty popular choice considering between number of shot and size of shot.

Usually no-choke = improved cylinder "choke" constriction...

The only way to know for sure is to test it.

Robb

Robb gives good advice. It is hard to say without testing it but I got a feeling 40yrds might be pushing it. This might be a question for "Cronk the shotgun man".
smile.gif

Wis.dave,
The model 11 Remington is made from the old Browning patent, long recoil semi auto.They are good guns. Your military version is probably a cylinder bore like a police riot gun (no choke at all). If so, it will like the larger size shot best (#4 Buck or bigger). My guess is that 25-30 yards will be about the limit for your gun on coyote size critters. Like the guys already stated above, you won't know for sure til you try it on a paper backstop. Brownell catalog has sleeves available to convert your model 11 to take screw-in chokes. A gunsmith can install the system for fairly low cost and you would have a super duper turkey and coyote whacker. Good hunting.
smile.gif

wis.dave,
I think you will need to pattern your shotgun. Several years ago when I was in law enforcement I was able to purchase an
Ithica mdl. 37 that someone had blown the end of the barrel out of, from a second hand store . I sawed the barrel off to the
legal limit of 18 1/4" and to this day use this shotgun as our primary household defense gun. 3 months ago I patterned it
using # 4 buckshot and even with the original choke and most of the barrel sawed off, it shot a tighter pattern than my
Winchester 1200 with a full choke. The pattern was plenty dense enough for coyotes to 40 yards. So you may want to pattern your shotgun as has been suggested before. By the way, new guns are a lot of fun but hunting with a gun that has a lot of history is special too.

------------------
Good Hunting To Ya !!
Merle

Back