a few hogs

guess

Some friends of mine from Nebraska came in and brought cold nasty weather with them. the first day it was cold and raining. We saw a few hogs but no shot. The next days temps in the 20's rain, sleet and snow with lots of wind. Todd shot a hog about during the day but she was terribly nasty from a leg wound and believe it or not she had been shot once before through the ear and it had healed. We didn't bother with pics. that nigh we looked for hogs but the wind was still howling and kept most in for the night. We finally found some with the Thermal eye {a thermal imaging device} We finally located a group of hogs, snuck within shooting distance and I turned on a hand held spot light with it shinning in the air and brought it down on the hogs slowly. Todd was able to get one of the sows. The next day more cold, more wind and more sleet and snow, but the nasty weather had forced the hogs to move during the day for food. We found hogs mid day out in a field and no one was able to get on any of them before they swam the swollen creek. The next spot I found a couple of boars and got one of them. We kept moving and I spotted some hogs about a 1/4 mile away. We were able to get the wind in our favor and sneak up on them. Tom and I shot at the same time and both got our hogs. Then we both shot the same hog on the run dropping her right there. We made lots of breakfast sausage, roasts and steaks for them to take home.
Todd's sow
normal_todd_with_sow_1-29-10.jpg

Tom with his first hog.
normal_tom_with_blk_sow_1-30-10.jpg

normal_tom_with_a_sow_1-30-10.jpg

me with a boar
normal_me_boar_1-30-10.jpg

normal_me_sow_1-30-10.jpg

normal_me_and_the_NE_boys_1-30-10.jpg

see, now this is hog hunting. You did spot and stalk to give the hunt a fair chase. That post about the hog being mauled by someones dogs and being called hunting was just wrong.

you misunderstand the whole hog dog thing. While it is not my cup of tea, I will defend the right for others to do it tooth and nail!
You obviously have never been on a hog dog hunt, try it once then give some feedback.
Hogs will kill far more dogs than the other way around. I own penned hogs for studies and recording vocalizations. They are brutal to each other. They fight constantly for position to be top hog, they kill their young, cut each other to shreds. My top boar constantly has the other boar crippled up to the point that I'm going to have to find him another home. Yesterday I killed some of my tame hogs for table fare and before I could get them out of the pen the others were trying to eat them, one stuck her nose in a pool of blood and drank like she was about to die of thirst.
So be careful standing against another hunter, if it is legal I have no problem with what he is doing. It is this type of conflict among hunters that gives the anti's the tiny crack to cause great divide and conquer.

To each his own and i won't go against it but I do have the right to voice my opinion when its posted up like this for all to see. I think the way the hog is treated and the dogs lives are put in danger for mear sport is wrong. Its not like they are beagles chasing rabbit where neither one tares the other to shreads.

I will stand for all hunting rights cause we DO need to stay together but i can still say that i think this method is not hunting or fair chase.

Back