Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint Bullets

Anyone using a Hart barrel should at least try them. May just be mine but my 7mm, 243 and 223 with Hart barrels really like em.

Originally Posted By: savage99I just got some 40 grainers for my 221. I like the 55 grainers in my 223 and 220 Swift. Nosler makes a great varmint pill!!

I shot a badger in the throat at 150 yards or so with my Swift. I was using the 40 grain Nosler BT and 43 grains of H414 to move it along. He felt no pain. Blood everywhere. I was out shooting ground squirrels whn that ugly SOB showed his head over a mound. I was hoping that little bullet would not be enough but boy howdy I sure didnt need anything more.

I just ordered 1000 more of them for my .221 FB, my .223 AI and my Swift. what fun they are.

I use them in my 223 but have never been able to get good results in my 22-250.
I just read a bit a couple of days ago in the "American Rifleman" that the maximum functional velocity of the nosler ballistic tip is 3100fps and my 22-250 loads exceed that. My sweet spot for my 223 is around 2900fps.
I don't know if its the problem but I would like to find out.
By the way I love the way they kill yotes, DRT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BallisticBenThey sound like accurate bullets, but how are they on fur?
I have used both the 50 gr and 55 gr BTs in my 22-250 with excellent accuracy, sub .5 MOA in a M700 VLS.

I have taken quite a few coyotes with the 50 gr and one with the 55 gr BT. Exits through the slats is about the size of a nickel.
Stay away from the big bones and you will be fine.

JD338

Yeah, I don't get it either. The Nosler manual itself shows many loads for .22 Balistic Tips at over 3100fps. What gives?
confused.gif

I run the combined technologies 50gr bullets in my 223 and any other cal they make the CTs for. (Nosler ballistic silver tips with a luberloax coating) They work extremely well. On coyotes they go in and just turn the insides to jello great performing bullet. The noslers are a little tougher then hornadys. the nosler big game bullets work really well also in my 243 they preform the same way on deer as the varmint bullets do on coyotes. Soon as i get my 243wssm Dtec back im more then likely going to be using it with 80 ballistic tips for coyotes some of the time. But its not needed and im only going to use it on the windy days to cut down on wind drift if a long shot happens to arise. You cant go wrong with the noslers. They are very accurate bullets and i have had only one rifle the didn't like the ballistic tips out of a whole pot load of them.

I use 55 gr BT's in my 22-250 at something around 3600 fps. That rifle prints tiny little groups with that load.

Head shot at 215 paces:

rabbit215.jpg

Originally Posted By: mudggerI use them in my 223 but have never been able to get good results in my 22-250.
I just read a bit a couple of days ago in the "American Rifleman" that the maximum functional velocity of the nosler ballistic tip is 3100fps and my 22-250 loads exceed that. My sweet spot for my 223 is around 2900fps.
I don't know if its the problem but I would like to find out.
By the way I love the way they kill yotes, DRT.

According to Nosler's website it's unlimited.
http://www.nosler.com/ballistictipvarmint.htm

Originally Posted By: mudggerI just read a bit a couple of days ago in the "American Rifleman" that the maximum functional velocity of the nosler ballistic tip is 3100fps.

I'm guessing that's the maximum functional "IMPACT" velocity for the big game NBTs... which is probably a pretty good rule to live by. Though, I've clobbered a couple of critters with 100s (via the .25-06) and 120s *(via the 7mm Rem) that had impact velocities far higher than 3100fps... and those critter died poste haste... for all I know those bullets are still flying too.

Never seen the varmint BTs pushed to hard... that includes a 40 grainer @ 5000fps+ out of a .22-284 in the Nosler Ballistic Lab.

Last edited:
I shoot the 50gr bal. tip with 25gr of H335 and cci mag primers in my .223 weatherby varmint special. It prints sub-moa. I don't know how fast it is (no chrono) but it is fast enough that they aren't able to step out of the way when they see it coming.

what powders are you folks using when reloading these?? i used varget. i havn't been able to make to range to test them yet!!!

I Love the 40 BT's They plant Coyotes with authourity with little fur damage in .223, using 27-28grns of H335. They also work great for ground squirrels, I have had success with the rodents out to 304 yds and farther, and Im not a good shot. This is out of a pencil barrel Tikka T3 Lite with a 1/8 twist. I doubt that you will be dissapointed. Good luck.

I use either NBT's or VMAX for my varminting needs.

Use to shoot all NBT's, but VMAX is a dam good bullet as well. Just as accurate, if not more so, and they expand a little faster, and guess what, there cheaper!!

Originally Posted By: RustydustWhy hale yes!!!

I use them more than any other bullet. Use them in my .204, my .223 rifles, my .221 Furball, my 220 Swift and my .243 Win. Have taken coyote, ground squirrels, prairie dogs and a couple of badgers with them. They hit hard, they are very accurate and their price is what I can afford.

If I could only buy one brand of bullet for my varmint rifles, no question, it would be the Ballistic Tip Noslers.

That answer your question?

+100

Back