Another Foxpro morning......

Curt Barrett

Well, got out for a few stands fashionably late. First stand had a howl-back so I split the distance and set up again. Turned on the Foxpro playing my favorite tune...woodpecker...low volume. Did a series on Jays Rhino. Man I love that call. Waited a minute. Ran the volume up about halfway for about 30 seconds then back to low volume. Wasn't but a couple more minutes and ones sprinting in out of the edge of the sage from straight crosswind. He's coming at a good clip heading for the downwind side of the caller. When he got about 40 yards straight downwind of it he made an abrupt turn and headed right for it. Didn't realize how close he was to the call when I "whooped" to stop him. He locked them up and fixed his attention on me. Gave him a Sierra 55 gr. HP brunch. Bang...crumple...just over 25 paces from me and less than 20 paces from the call. Made one more stand and the wind was coming up so headed for the barn. Threw him on the fish scale and he was just under 37 lbs. Good size for this area. Anything over 30 is big around here.

A lot has been said about volume lately. Got me thinking. Even though this caller has more than enough volume I really can't remember using it at more than 1/2. No need. I run it close to it's lowest setting most of the time but it pumps out the volume if needed.

Have been putting the remote through the paces. As you can see the grass is fairly deep. I keep the remote in my chest pocket of my bibs while calling and press the buttons through the bib material. Hands are free that way. Works great.

Big thanks to Bruce Clemens (Yacolt Yote) for his quality shooting sticks. I was a bi-pod man but the sticks were the ticket for the area I was in today. I'm hooked. Way more mobile. Thanks Bruce! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The stand....He skirted the sage to the right of the pic. Caller is in grass to the left. Coyote laying in grass in line with rifle.
fb0d3041.jpg

Ugly person holding coyote....
fb0d3038.jpg

Curt...

I'll move this over to the Photo Gallery forum, you will probably get better response over there... BTW, that coyote does look nice, are they already wearing/getting winter fur there?

Atta boy Curt. can we kill coyotes now? Like I mean is it coyote season yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That sucker is large, he looks bigger than 37Lbs.

I really like when you post the "set up" pics with your story. i t puts it all in perspective.
Some times I wish we could use e callers here, but then I'm not sure how they handle extreme cold.
Anyway, looks like you still got it son. Good Job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks Redfrog. Man, what I would give for some of that cold of yours. Last winter never even hit zero. Couple skiffs of snow was all. Been getting in the high 30s lately at night. Fingers crossed fro a real winter. Take care Bud.

Curt

You guys just don't get it, Curt kills a coyote 3 years ago and you get all crazy about it. He stuck that puppy in the freezer and every once in awhile hauls its ass out and takes a picture with it......excuse me while I run away.

Heh heh....

That IS a big coyote Curt. Out of the 40 or so that I've got in the last 3 years, 30lbs has been the biggest. The smallest, I don't want to talk about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Sounds like a bad winter on the way. So they say. Nice goin, good to see youre doing well with the Foxpro.

Brad

Yeah Obi (Bob) this dang thing is starting to get freezer burnt. I"m really going to have to get a new one sometime. My wife is getting tired of having to move it to get to the frenchfries and hamburger meat too. LOL!

Thanks brad, hope you are right about this winter. Sounds like your coyotes are similar to ours. Back when I trapped and when calling, usually mature adult coyotes would average 27-29 lbs. Trapped a couple a hair over 40. That was in the mountains though.

Thanks Bob and Wishbone.

Take care, Curt

Well thats a honker if you don't mind me saying so? Not you man the dog!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Is that what your going to put me on if I come down that way?

Well done Curt always enjoy the pics.

Be safe,
Todd

Thanks Todd! Yeah, I'll give my best shot when you get down here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good news! Found out Tues. I got that electrical job at SDS. Looks like I won't have to travel after all. Finished school last Fri. and start work the 30th. Sounds like we can do some calling after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Redfrog, you have quite an eye. My fish scale is pretty low budget. After you saying that coyote looked heavier I decided to check my cheap scale. Took a 40 lb. barbell and come to find out it was weighing a hair over 2 lbs light. Got a new scale at Walmart today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Take care, Curt

Curt , that is a nice dog. Glad to hear you like the shooting sticks. I to was a bi-pod guy but now only use the sticks. With the sticks I can pivot my gun up to 90 degrees to shoot. Bi-pods work good if you don't have to move on a coyote or know exactly where he is going to show up but I haven't had to many coyotes do that for me.
Anybody want a pair of these sticks send me an e mail at [url=mailto:prtc101@hotmail.com

Good to hear from you Bruce! Hope all is good down your way. Yeah, that's what I like about those sticks too. Being able to easily pan around. Really like em'.

Glad I got your e-mail again. Haven't had it since my computer took a dump a few months back. We will have to get together for some calling soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Take care, Curt

Awesome calling and shooting Curt.Great story and pics.
As for the sticks,Bruce makes a great set.I hung up my Harris bi-pod when they(Shooting sticks from Yalcot Yote) came in and I haven't looked back.

Glad to hear you guys like them. Anyone else want a pair I've got some made up and am selling them for $25.00 shipped. They are 40" long and I make them out of 3/8" fiberglass rod. They are held together with a nut and bolt and have a rubber yoke that loops over the end of the sticks much like the sticks in the video Operation Predator that Ed Wimberely uses.
I camo them up with camo duct tape although on my personal pair of sticks I wrapped them in strips of burlap and it gives them a ghillie suit look which matches the ghillie I wear when hunting.
E mail if you have any more questions at [url=mailto:prtc101@hotmail.com

Curt
Glad to see that you are getting out these days. The job news is also good to hear.

Was in your area last monday for work and saw a mess load of deer and a couple of coyotes.

Like the story and the pictures. Keep it up..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks Jesse! My wife thought the job was good news too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yeah, ton of deer this year. Need to start culling the herd. Dang bodyshop is making a killing. LOL!

Take care, Curt

Curt,
I know this is just the beginning of the season but we are going to need to work on that smile again, looks like the Curt combo still works start them with the hand call, finish stand with the woodpecker distress on the Fox-Pro. Your just having to much fun on those Northern Columbia breaks. I tried to send you an e-mail but you must have changed your ISP. Songdog don't work. If you feel like it, send me your new address. merlewhite@highstream.net

Back